Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepperexp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Luckily I had my Macbook Air with me when someone broke into my apt and stole the box/packaging for it.

Should I be concerned with anything, I know the box has the serial number on it. I'm afraid of whoever took this box might try to claim it was originally theirs with having the box etc.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There isn't much they can do. As long as you have your receipt and/or have the Macbook registered in your name, you should be fine.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Luckily I had my Macbook Air with me when someone broke into my apt and stole the box/packaging for it.

Should I be concerned with anything, I know the box has the serial number on it. I'm afraid of whoever took this box might try to claim it was originally theirs with having the box etc.

The S/No. might be of value to somebody with a knock off....Just to safe, I'd tell Apple...I doubt they will do anything, but it won't hurt to alret them to the fact that the box is gone...I'd be super angry as I keep all my boxes for re-sale.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

That sucks man. Have you reported it to the police or anyone? apple charges $20 for a replacement box.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
That sucks man. Have you reported it to the police or anyone? apple charges $20 for a replacement box.

You can buy replacement boxes from Apple? Huh, that's neat. I wish I had kept my Macbook Pro Box. It's funny how much the damn boxes are nice things to behold. I mean...it's a BOX. Worth like .50c.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

Was there anything else in the box (accessories, installation media, etc.?)
In any case, if you sell the computer later, you could maybe have gotten a few tens more if you still had the box.

Was anything else taken? Was it a forced entry? Have you reported the unlawful entry?

RGDS,

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
You should be amused at the look on the thief's face when he opens the box. :D

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
You can buy replacement boxes from Apple? Huh, that's neat. I wish I had kept my Macbook Pro Box. It's funny how much the damn boxes are nice things to behold. I mean...it's a BOX. Worth like .50c.

Lol I was only joking. Nope you cannot get one from apple. Well I don't know. Never asked lol. You can get one on eBay though. Item number Item #: 230934624989

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple has tools, which can change the computer serial number. Ask in an Apple store.

The tools Apple uses for that won't reburn a serial number onto a board that already has a serial number. Even if the OP ha the logicboard swapped with a blank one, they'd only make it the same as the one on the case.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think you should be more concerned that someone broke in, perhaps they'll return for the computer next time. I would secure your home.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Id love to have seen his face when he opened the box to find it empty lol.

Id ring apple and let them know too, maybe they will send you a replacement if you asked nicely? For the resale value.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This is a funny thread. People throw their boxes in the trash, yet you are scared about a box.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

you should sell your story to Apple as a testament to just how light the device is that some halfwit thief didn't realize the box was empty.

either that or he used the box to carry all the crap he did steal from you ;)

(sorry you got robbed, glad you had your computer with you)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.