Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
If you look at samsung galaxy note 10 (and the upcoming galaxy note 8) the ipad is lagging behind in many features. However, the design of the samsung is, um...lacking.

The ipad would be awesome if it had an active digitizer. Basically, this would recognize stylus input as fundamentally different than touch input. The fact that the ipad does not have an active digitizer is the #1 reason why writing on the ipad sucks. Throw in an active digitizer and you can take notes with a pressure-sensitive stylus that is basically as easy as writing on paper.

There are capacitive styluses being manufactured.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
- Price to come down, the fact they added $100 charge to the 128GB is just insulting users intelligence. Surely 128GB is at the same price point as the 64GB was back in 2009...yet they're still trying to use the 2009 pricing scheme.

- Less weight. I have been one of the arguers that the iPad really isn't all that heavy and that people should workout. It really wasn't until I put it in my bag and carried it that I felt how heavy the device really was. Holding it close to your body is different from holding it in a bag, while its not going to kill me it certainly would be nice if they did lighten the load a bit.

- Faster charge times. Generally speaking I have no problems with the charge times now but if I plug my iPad 3 in and use it the charge gets no where fast. Need to further improve the charge times by either a smaller battery & better power management or further increase the charge wattage.

- iOS needs to be re-evaluated. Android is a much more flexible operating system and while I don't think iOS needs to be as flexible they could certainly use some interface updates. The inability to customize the keyboard drives me nuts, you get two choices: small or huge. They should also add some keyboard shortcut support in the operating system as well. File system should be added for productivity support.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
-IGZO display to help make the device thinner and lighter

-32GB/64GB/128GB Apple should drop 16GB entirely, it's storage capacity is too small (for a device that doesn't allow for expandable storage). Having the iPad line start at 32GB would offer much more value to the consumer

-2GB of ram

-Gorilla Glass 3 display

-Rapid charge technology, improved battery performance

-Stereo speakers

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Would you want an iPad 5 that looks and feels just like an iPad mini? Yes, I'd like to see, so I hope the new iPad can be as thin as the iPad Mini. Lighter than before.
And it could be better if the new iPad features a better camera. More RAM are welcome.

k2kraky

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
The usuals plus

We all of course want to see, thinner, faster, more space, more Ram, thinner bezel, usb port and this may sound crazy but telephone capability is something I would love to see. No I'm not going to hold it up to my ear....bluetooth of course. I have the iphone 5 and love it but would love to downsize to one gizmo...All in One machine.

Now I don't have an iPad and am waiting not so patiently for the next one. Was disappointed that the last one didn't have some things. I know a lot of people with them adn they still use cheap ereaders for their books because of the glossy screen on the ipad. iInk is great for reading but with such a shiny surface not much good likely out in the sunshine.

I want it all in one device. Phone, tablet and ereader, camera and so on:apple:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I like the ipad I have.

I would like a faster processor of course

One note:

If they ever change the screen ratio, I swear I will jump off a bridge holding a sign saying "think different", or something of that nature.

To be honest, the 'wafer thin' thing makes me nervous also.

Companies have to update their stuff, and a lot of the time it's not for the better. Tech, on the other hand, almost always is for the better, but the design aspect is so strong with Apple it could go either way

IMHO.

NamE_O

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2016
Hawaii, United States
1) Multi window

2) Finder

3) Home screen widget instead of wasting 9.7" or 12.9" with 4x5 apps.

4) Wireless charging

5) Ablility to upload and save more file formats from Safari

6) More storage options. Current iPad Pro models support 256GB at maximum, and as a so-called "ultimate PC replacement," it's still far from enough. It should at least support 1TB SSD for top-tier model. 128GB for the base model and 1TB for top-tier would be ideal.

7) External hard drive or micro SD support

8) At least 4GB ram for all Pro models. 2GB on 9.7" model and calling it "Pro" is ridiculous.

9) Move from Lightning connector to USB-C

10) 3D Touch

11) iPad OS developed specifically for iPad instead of iOS developed for iPhone first then added few iPad features

These improvements should be enough for now to make iPad something that people want to use to replace their PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I'm hoping for an A10/X iPad Mini Pro with P3 True Tone 3D Touch screen and Apple Pencil support and 3 or 4 GB RAM.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
1) Multi window

2) Finder

3) Home screen widget instead of wasting 9.7" or 12.9" with 4x5 apps.

4) Wireless charging

5) Ablility to upload and save more file formats from Safari

6) More storage options. Current iPad Pro models support 256GB at maximum, and as a so-called "ultimate PC replacement," it's still far from enough. It should at least support 1TB SSD. 128GB for the base model and 1TB for top-tier would be ideal.

7) External hard drive or micro SD support

8) At least 4GB ram for all Pro models. 2GB on 9.7" model and calling it "Pro" is ridiculous.

9) Move from Lightning connector to USB-C

10) 3D Touch

11) iPad OS developed specifically for iPad instead of iOS developed for iPhone first then added few iPad features

These improvements should be enough for now to make iPad something that people want to use to replace their PC.
Whyyyy? -__-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.