Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I may be getting a 5 within the next week. What do I do with my current 4 to keep all of my photos and videos? I'm also trading in my 4 so do I have to wipe the phone?

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
Connect your iPhone 4 to iTunes and create a backup. Make sure to sync everything and when you get your iPhone 5, just connect it to iTunes and restore it from your iPhone 4 backup.

Wipe your iPhone 4 after all of that is done by going to Settings, General, Reset and then choose Erase All Content And Settings.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Connect your iPhone 4 to iTunes and create a backup. Make sure to sync everything and when you get your iPhone 5, just connect it to iTunes and restore it from your iPhone 4 backup.

Thanks for the reply. And how do i wipe the iphone clean?

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana

Wipe your iPhone 4 after all of that is done by going to Settings, General, Reset and then choose Erase All Content And Settings.

See above.

hughiee

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012

Make sure you turn off the iMessage and FaceTime so that your Apple ID is removed from your iPhone 4. Then proceed with the erase procedure mentioned.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Exhale on the phone so that a temporary layer of mist appears on the screen surface. Proceed to take a piece of tissue/use your shirt to clean the screen.

NedFlanders

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Also if you have other iDevices and you don't want to have to wait a week for the browsing history to vanish from links in the cloud, close all of the links in safari on the phone before you wipe.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Will backing it up also keep my saved games when I switch over to my new phone?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I may be getting a 5 within the next week. What do I do with my current 4 to keep all of my photos and videos? I'm also trading in my 4 so do I have to wipe the phone?

back it up and sync your phone.

Part two...you don't have to wipe your phone, but I would to be safe.

----------

Exhale on the phone so that a temporary layer of mist appears on the screen surface. Proceed to take a piece of tissue/use your shirt to clean the screen.

reset back to factory defaults should get you most of the way there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.