Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #26
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1995 View Post
I am on the unlimited plan and I recently inquired about the usage of the hotspot feature. I was told, that the hotspot was not unlimited, and was subject to a 1 GB limit for the $30 charge. Where are people getting that the hotspot is unlimited along with the phone usage. Not what I was told from Verizon.
If you are on unlimited, you can add unlimited hotspot for $30 a month. Whatever else the rep told you was wrong.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:58 PM   #27
nyc999
macrumors member

I have been doing it for a while now (with a droid)...love 4G speeds..get 12-18 mbps most days. Long live unlimited data!
nyc999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:19 PM   #28
trlyka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Can't exactly have a real network without home internet either, no sharing printers or files or anything if the computers are all operating independently. as you need that home Wi-Fi network. Any other devices you need to worry about like internet connected TVs etc?
I agree^

You have consider all the things you can't do without home Internet. I work for a major cable provider in the retention dept. Call your provider and tell them you are going to disconnect the service because of price. Hopefully they will offer you a better deal.

I get so many calls from people that want to disconnect Internet and they say they will use their cell phones instead. And not always as a hot spot, but as their primary device to go on the Internet. It makes me cringe when I hear this and they usually end up coming back. Who wants to use their cell phone to read Internet content all the time?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:29 PM   #29
TsuaSai
macrumors 6502

Not to thread jack. But I have been googling for the last hour. I am thinking of getting a iPhone 5 and paying full retail. I currently have a android phone and pay the $30 for unlimited hotspot. I was thinking they would make me go to the $20 2gb iPhone plan I had before. But sounds like I can keep my unlimited hotspot with the iPhone 5 correct?

BTW I only use hotspot no major issues. I however live in the sticks with my only other option being satellite.
TsuaSai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #30
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsuaSai View Post
Not to thread jack. But I have been googling for the last hour. I am thinking of getting a iPhone 5 and paying full retail. I currently have a android phone and pay the $30 for unlimited hotspot. I was thinking they would make me go to the $20 2gb iPhone plan I had before. But sounds like I can keep my unlimited hotspot with the iPhone 5 correct?

BTW I only use hotspot no major issues. I however live in the sticks with my only other option being satellite.
Yes, if you pay full price, you get to keep your unlimited plan on Verizon.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:36 PM   #31
dogboy3
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for their opinion comment about ditch home internet. I'm heavy on surf the net. It will be pain in ass to set up every time I start personal hotspot. It took me lot of time to do research carefully and trail before I make final decision. Home internet is better for me to stay online 24/7 and personal hotspot doesn't stay. Sometime I use local network such file, AirMirror, etc… I'm using DSL and speed 7Mbp download and 968Mbp upload. My iPhone LTE speed is close, however personal hotspot upload is fastest than DSL. I may try to call see if they offer me lowest price.

If I'm keep simply with internet then I could ditch it.
dogboy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 AM   #32
TsuaSai
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Yes, if you pay full price, you get to keep your unlimited plan on Verizon.
OK cool. I knew I could keep my unlimited plan for the phone but wasn't sure if my hotspot plan would be unlimited still.
TsuaSai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:49 PM   #33
techkidd4400
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
They may not throttle based on usage but they do throttle if towers get too congested. Basically rolling throttle.
This doesn't make any sense. Verizon is not throttling LTE; they make plenty off of the steep charges for bandwidth.
techkidd4400 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 PM   #34
pyroza
macrumors regular

I would keep the home internet, but that's because you can't really do any online gaming with tethering because the latency is too high.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone