Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have this question:

Is it possible to load two different libraries into itunes at the same time?

I need more space on my harddrive, so I thought, wouldn't it be nice to store half my (old) songs on an external drive and the other (newer songs) half on my laptop. Ideally having my newer songs on the go, and whenever I plug in my external harddrive I still have my whole library.

I did see some options to open different libraries, but I don't want to exclude any songs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iTunes is not designed to deal with more then one library so I don't think this is possible. I use a NAS to keep my music off my SSD on my rMBP and I think something like that might be easier and better.

Guids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
i think you are right. I am going to try to seperate the library.

Previously i check "copy everything to itunes folder", unchecked it. Now i am going to move half my songs.

One problem though, I suspect when I add all my songs again everything shows up in "recently added", anyway to bypass this?

Guids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
ok almost there, not completely statisfied yet. This is what is have so far

1. go iTunes > preferences > advanced and point iTunes media folder location to the external HD. ok out of preferences.
2. select (highlight) the files to be moved in iTunes
3. right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose consolidate files from the pop-up menu
4. Delete all music from laptop
5. set recently added on last 2 years ( new songs)
6. go iTunes > preferences > advanced and point iTunes media folder location back to internal laptop drive
7. select all recently added and consolidate files

all fine, but now I have the newer songs on external AND internal. I was looking for a app which could compare folders for duplicates. Found a couple, but no free solution. any ideas?

update: decided to use gemini

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.