Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
LunatikBunnie
macrumors newbie

Mac partition unassignable in Win 7 Bootcamp

Hi guys, just a few days back I accidentally deleted my mac partition from windows's Disk Management. I proceeded to follow some instructions online to fix that situation because all i did was delete the partition, I didn't format it. So one chap on some obscure forum said he had come across the same situation and had fixed it by remapping the drive with TestDisk. I did the same, rebooted and managed to get my mac ML back. However, upon re-entering Windows 7 I discovered that my bootcamp's mac partition(where I can read the Mac's files) is missing. Further investigation shows that my partition is there, but there's no drive letter assigned.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this little mess I've created?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	379888  
LunatikBunnie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
MJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunatikBunnie View Post
Hi guys, just a few days back I accidentally deleted my mac partition from windows's Disk Management. I proceeded to follow some instructions online to fix that situation because all i did was delete the partition, I didn't format it. So one chap on some obscure forum said he had come across the same situation and had fixed it by remapping the drive with TestDisk. I did the same, rebooted and managed to get my mac ML back. However, upon re-entering Windows 7 I discovered that my bootcamp's mac partition(where I can read the Mac's files) is missing. Further investigation shows that my partition is there, but there's no drive letter assigned.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this little mess I've created?
Should be in Windows: control panel, administrative tools, disk management, right click on the partion and then select "change driveletter and paths". Hopefully this works - don't know if windows will need to write to the HFS partition, if the latter then Windows may not be able to change it. Make sure to have a recent backup in case something goes wrong.
MJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
LunatikBunnie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
Should be in Windows: control panel, administrative tools, disk management, right click on the partion and then select "change driveletter and paths". Hopefully this works - don't know if windows will need to write to the HFS partition, if the latter then Windows may not be able to change it. Make sure to have a recent backup in case something goes wrong.
Nah, didn't work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandicam 2012-11-27 14-39-08-037.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	379923  
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
LunatikBunnie
macrumors newbie

Anyone else can chime in to help out? ._.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
MJL
Banned

A couple of things you might try - (got a headache so am not too clear with things)

- can you see the OS X partition when you boot and hold the option (alt) key?

- if you can boot into OS X can you do under disk utility a repair?

- perhaps start Windows and use the bootcamp icon in system tray to select the OS X as startup disk (if you can see it).

If you have a good backup of the Windows installation then you might start up time machine and then go to disk utility, point to the HFS partition and ask to repair it.

If all fails then you'll have to do an OS X restore from time machine.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
LunatikBunnie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
A couple of things you might try - (got a headache so am not too clear with things)

- can you see the OS X partition when you boot and hold the option (alt) key?

- if you can boot into OS X can you do under disk utility a repair?

- perhaps start Windows and use the bootcamp icon in system tray to select the OS X as startup disk (if you can see it).

If you have a good backup of the Windows installation then you might start up time machine and then go to disk utility, point to the HFS partition and ask to repair it.

If all fails then you'll have to do an OS X restore from time machine.
My OSX boots and works fine. From OSX I can see the Bootcamp partition as well as access it. However, from Windows I can't get bootcamp to map that drive for me. I uninstalled bootcamp and reinstalled it and can't get it to show up.

Is there anything else i should have set in TestDisk to reset the hard disk flags? If i remembered seeing my mac partition from Windows 7 correctly, it wasn't just 1 contiguous partition, i remembered seeing my recovery drive or swap, or something in Disk Management, albeit not mapped to any drive letter.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7
MJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunatikBunnie View Post
My OSX boots and works fine. From OSX I can see the Bootcamp partition as well as access it. However, from Windows I can't get bootcamp to map that drive for me. I uninstalled bootcamp and reinstalled it and can't get it to show up.

Is there anything else i should have set in TestDisk to reset the hard disk flags? If i remembered seeing my mac partition from Windows 7 correctly, it wasn't just 1 contiguous partition, i remembered seeing my recovery drive or swap, or something in Disk Management, albeit not mapped to any drive letter.
If there is not a drive letter then Windows cannot see it. I am not familiar with third party tools - you may need you to get into some configuration files to manually fiddle with that. I just wonder if Paragon disk manager can fix it - perhaps there is a trial period for it.

I'll be away for a while - good luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac