Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
Just making sure before I buy: Apple Motion wil be completely compatible with iMovie for video editing? FCPX is a little too much money for me right now..

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
No, you need FCPX to use alongside Motion.
You can create a template in Motion and import it into FCPX as an effect. You won't be able to import it into imovie as an effect.

rx7dude

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Toronto
depends what you mean by compatible.
I use both iMovie and Motion.
You have to export from Motion as a clip and then import the clip into iMovie.
It works but it's not the best way to do.
I don't do video editing for a living so it suits me until I get FCPX

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
depends what you mean by compatible.
I use both iMovie and Motion.
You have to export from Motion as a clip and then import the clip into iMovie.
It works but it's not the best way to do.
I don't do video editing for a living so it suits me until I get FCPX

True, you can do it this way but you won't get any of the editing options etc.
So if you make a fancy title, for example, you need to export it as a video clip and then import into imovie as a clip - not as an effect.
With FCPX you can import it as an effect, so when you add it to your project you can still make changes, edit text, and so on.

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
All that means is I have to re-edit it in motion if I don't like it, and export another clip. For me, that's all I need. I knew it wasn't going to be streamlined. Anything else I should know?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Well, you can use Motion for two purposes: Its main purpose and its "can also do this quite well" purpose. Its main purpose it to create nice-looking and easily editable titles, generators and presets for Final Cut Pro X. This part will not work with iMovie. At all.

But the second part it is surprisingly capable in is compositing and visual effects. If you want to play with greenscreen keying, masking tools, compositing modes, muzzle flashes and other visual effects (like a cheaper Adobe After Effects replacement), it will work as well (or bad) with iMovie as it does with Final Cut Pro X. You will in both programs have to export the clips you want to deal with in Motion, do your magic, and then export back.

----------

Anything else I should know?

Yes, one more thing: You will notice a lot more than in iMovie if you have a crappy or usable graphics card. iMovie hardly does anything on the GPU, Motion does a lot. I noticed that it works way smoother on my iMac than on my MBP although the latter is superior in all hardware except the GPU. :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
You'll also notice that importing back into imovie lowers the quality of the original motion export a fair bit.

Supernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yo momma's house
Well, I will miss the titles, but the compositing software is actually the major reason why I am interested in Motion. I plan to purchase it as an alternative to the devilishly expensive After Effects, but really the only thing I am probably going to end up doing with it on my upcoming short film is color grading. Thank you @floh for making up my mind. The workflow sounds extremely complicated, but for the price, it looks more than worth it. Thanks, and happy not-end-of-the-world and merry Christmas, and if the world does end, god bless you.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Judging by your needs, yes, Motion will be good enough.

It may not have as complicated a workflow as people are saying; you may be able to:

1. Export something from Motion
  2. Import to iMovie
  3. Feel it's not good enough, so go back to Motion and edit it a bit
  4. Export it again, overwriting the previous file
  5. iMovie should then reload the file and you will see the changed file

Now, I'm not entirely sure if this is how iMovie works. I think it may import files, create a proxy, and work from there. So perhaps it won't create new proxies every time a file gets updated, and this workflow won't work...meaning you'll need to keep importing things again.

This works in FCP7/Premiere Pro. I deleted iMovie so I can't try it out.

Nevertheless, it sounds like Motion will do your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.