Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
danistyping
macrumors regular

2012 13" MBA Secondary Monitor Fullscreen question

I just got a 24" Dell IPS display to use with my 2012 13" i7 MBA. It's awesome.

So here's my question/issue. I need to use this as a second display, not mirrored. When I do this, I want to full screen Safari and many other apps. When I click full screen, it goes full screen on my MBA screen, NOT the external Dell display. No matter what I do, I get the grey background pattern on the dell and the full screened app on the MBA.

WHY? It's seriously pissing me off. There doesn't seem to be a way around it unless you mirror, which is not what I need the monitor for. I hope that you guys know of one. It's probably right in front of my face.....

Any insight here is greatly appreciated.
danistyping is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
jttwm23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danistyping View Post
I just got a 24" Dell IPS display to use with my 2012 13" i7 MBA. It's awesome.

So here's my question/issue. I need to use this as a second display, not mirrored. When I do this, I want to full screen Safari and many other apps. When I click full screen, it goes full screen on my MBA screen, NOT the external Dell display. No matter what I do, I get the grey background pattern on the dell and the full screened app on the MBA.

WHY? It's seriously pissing me off. There doesn't seem to be a way around it unless you mirror, which is not what I need the monitor for. I hope that you guys know of one. It's probably right in front of my face.....

Any insight here is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Try this, and let me know if it works. I'm having secondary monitor issues as well. when you are at the display arrangement window, you can actually move the menu bar from the macbook display to your dell display. This probably turns the dell display into the primary display. It might work, let me know how it goes.

jttwm23
jttwm23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

I think that's how it works. I have a 13" 2011 MBA and use an old 23" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200). I have the menu bar on the external screen and fullscreen programs such as Safari and Logic work as expected (they fill the external screen).
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4
alphaod
macrumors Core

You need to move the menu bar as previous stated.

This is what annoyed me when Apple removed Spaces and introduced this "full screen" option. Multi-monitor support went out the window.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
This is what annoyed me when Apple removed Spaces and introduced this "full screen" option.
I always figured that was a "Windows thing" that Apple copied, along with being able to resize windows by dragging the edges.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
Spoonz
macrumors member

As others have stated, dragging the menubar to the external display will allow you to fullscreen, but I don't see this as a solution since your primary display will just show the grey gradient.

Apple still haven't offered a work-around for this, and the long and short of it is basically that you can't fullscreen anything without making one of your displays useless. The best you can manage is resizing any apps you're using to fill the screen space - bye bye to gesture swiping through your running programs I'm afraid.
Spoonz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonz View Post
As others have stated, dragging the menubar to the external display will allow you to fullscreen, but I don't see this as a solution since your primary display will just show the grey gradient.

Apple still haven't offered a work-around for this, and the long and short of it is basically that you can't fullscreen anything without making one of your displays useless. The best you can manage is resizing any apps you're using to fill the screen space - bye bye to gesture swiping through your running programs I'm afraid.
Actually, if you set up multiple desktops and run programs in "almost full screen", swiping between desktops will swipe both screens, in effect giving you two desktops per swipe.

This should've been fixed for Mountain Lion though, since people started complaining about it in Lion.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air