Forum Redesign? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Apple Key
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Apple Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I'm with you.

I would like a forum refresh. In fact, ideally I'd like a dramatic forum refresh. vBulletin is a bit dated in general. I've thought about how the forum should evolve both in style and functionality.

The ambitious version of doing a forum refresh would be very ambitious and would likely piss off some of the regulars.

Of course, these all take time. vBulletin is also a bit of a beast in terms of skinning and maintaining. I have a group that might be able to do it, so there is some progress in that front.

arn
What type of ideas did you have in mind for a dramatic forum refresh?

I have been mostly thinking about the design and not functionality. But, I could definitely see some changes in functionality having a positive effect.

I may be able to help out if you are interested.
__________________
You know what they say... once you go Mac you ain't never gonna go back.
Apple Key is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:24 PM   #27
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
What type of ideas did you have in mind for a dramatic forum refresh?

I have been mostly thinking about the design and not functionality. But, I could definitely see some changes in functionality having a positive effect.

I may be able to help out if you are interested.
For example, I think the last replied ordered thread list is a bad choice for a default view. It is so volatile and hard to follow in a busy forum.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #28
WillEH
macrumors 6502a
 
WillEH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Why change something, that doesn't need changing? Everything works fine, no problems with the forum. It's nice and simple, remember it's about the discussions, not how many gadgets or how pretty the forum is.
__________________
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. If you take the bait, don't complain.
WillEH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:04 PM   #29
Feed Me
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location Location
The best-looking forum I've ever seen uses IPB with a nice theme
(http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/)

Maybe worth looking at.
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #30
davidinva
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
Would be nice to have a "next" button, but that appears to be a V-Bulletin thing.
davidinva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinva View Post
Would be nice to have a "next" button, but that appears to be a V-Bulletin thing.
We are on vBulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashy View Post
The best-looking forum I've ever seen uses IPB with a nice theme
(http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/)

Maybe worth looking at.
If we must change, let's go to Xenforo.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:46 PM   #32
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
I'm fine with as it now is, especially after they've added some new options recently (like quote notifications). However, Search could be improved, so I don't have to use Google.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:06 PM   #33
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
I'm fine with as it now is, especially after they've added some new options recently (like quote notifications). However, Search could be improved, so I don't have to use Google.
We have a google search function, I just wish it was in the search bar that's on every page, not under the search drop down.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:10 PM   #34
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
I'm fine with as it now is, especially after they've added some new options recently (like quote notifications). However, Search could be improved, so I don't have to use Google.
Search is probably as good as it'll get. Any specific search term issues?

arn

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillEH View Post
Why change something, that doesn't need changing? Everything works fine, no problems with the forum. It's nice and simple, remember it's about the discussions, not how many gadgets or how pretty the forum is.
I don't agree that "everything works fine."

arn
arn is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:12 PM   #35
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Search is probably as good as it'll get. Any specific search term issues?

arn
I can think of a number of ways search could be improved/enhanced, but the likelihood of them being implemented is slim. They're probably too complex to bother with. Search works fairly well, as it is, but there's always room for improvement. It would be nice if people would actually try searching more often.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:17 PM   #36
WillEH
macrumors 6502a
 
WillEH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Search is probably as good as it'll get. Any specific search term issues?

arn

----------



I don't agree that "everything works fine."

arn
I mean, works fine in the design part (as in, looks fine and doesn't need new fancy colours) The inner workings of the forum, I have no idea about.
__________________
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. If you take the bait, don't complain.
WillEH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #37
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Search is probably as good as it'll get. Any specific search term issues?

arn

----------



I don't agree that "everything works fine."

arn
You can't search for phrases ("battery life" "MacBook Pro") and you can't search for specific timeframes. So, I find myself using Google to search with the parameter site:Macrumors.com most of the time. The problem with the Google search is you can't specify it to certain subforums (understandably, because it's a search engine and not made for VBulletin).

Not that any of these fixes are going to fix those who never search to begin with, but it would help me to help them faster.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:43 PM   #38
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
In the area of search, I agree with -aggie- and would like to add that it would great if we could drill down further than forums and sub-forums and into individual threads. That would be helpful when you know there is a post in a real long thread, but can't quite remember where it's at.

Of course, being able to do an individual thread search would probably bring a lot of server overhead with it.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:44 PM   #39
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
A few capabilities that would be nice:
  • Have the ability to define search preferences in the User CP.

  • Define which forums by default you want to include/exclude in searches.

  • Define which time frame by default you want to use in searches.

    For example, I'd like all my searches to be for posts within the past year, with the option on search results to alter or remove that criteria.
  • Have the ability to save searches that you perform frequently, including search terms, time frame, thread titles or posts, forums to search, etc.

  • Have the ability to specify to search for "this" or "that", or "this" and "that".
    For example, I want to find threads on calibrating batteries, not calibrating displays.

  • Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #40
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
I'll offer my thoughts:

There should only be 4 sections to this site, as I see it. The redesign should be made to make the site as simple to navigate as possible. This will make it flow and work whether on a Mac, an iPad or an iPhone.

News & Info - Buyers Guide - Forums - User CP


News & Info- Combine Front Page, Mac Blog, iOS blog and Page 2 and keep them all on one page, much the same way the mobile site currently works. Color code each category so the readers know which section their article belongs to. The articles appear in the order they're posted, but exceptional "Top Stories" could be pinned indefinitely. The recent forum material would not be on this page. Articles only!

Buyer's Guide- Functionally, this page works great right now. I would just lose the Front Page stories as the appropriate articles are already displayed next to the product. And maybe, just maybe, it's time to add the AppleTV...

Forums- I know a lot of this is tied to vBulletin, but it might be time to move to something more mobile friendly. But assuming you stick with vBulletin, I would only keep 3 of the subheadings: FAQ/Rules, Forum Spy and New Posts. User CP should be its own category, and the Community links would go there, too. A Search bar is already included on every page and Quick Links Are mostly redundant info anyway.

User CP- This is a very useful space now. I think it could be much more useful though if it was treated as more of a social space, kinda like you attempted to do with the last update here. Posting on others pages, adding photo galleries, listing friends and the like should encourage a more personal space, but it's really not a "beautiful" space that people want to "hang out" in. If you can let people customize their MR "home" people would socialize a lot more. Chatting is frowned upon in the forums, but it could be welcomed here. You could also add links to your favorite searches, forums or other MR spots.

---

So that's briefly the direction I would head. As much as I enjoy this site, I think it can be better. Again, the goal would be consistency across platform, ease of navigation and a decidedly social element. I don't think MR should go with a standard or follow established trends, I think they should innovate, try some new ideas. Your users are some of the most tech savvy and creative folks out there and this has got to be one of the most popular communities on the web. Lead the way in this space and don't settle for what's easy. The company that brought us here didn't do it and we're only here because that's what we respect and admire.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:22 PM   #41
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
A few capabilities that would be nice:
  • Have the ability to define search preferences in the User CP.

  • Define which forums by default you want to include/exclude in searches.

  • Define which time frame by default you want to use in searches.

    For example, I'd like all my searches to be for posts within the past year, with the option on search results to alter or remove that criteria.
  • Have the ability to save searches that you perform frequently, including search terms, time frame, thread titles or posts, forums to search, etc.

  • Have the ability to specify to search for "this" or "that", or "this" and "that".
    For example, I want to find threads on calibrating batteries, not calibrating displays.

  • Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.
Arn, just read this. GGJstudios identified exactly what I'd like to see in search.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #42
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
In the area of search, I agree with -aggie- and would like to add that it would great if we could drill down further than forums and sub-forums and into individual threads. That would be helpful when you know there is a post in a real long thread, but can't quite remember where it's at.

Of course, being able to do an individual thread search would probably bring a lot of server overhead with it.
There is a search for individual threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 10.45.32 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	331007  
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:54 PM   #43
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
You can't search for phrases ("battery life" "MacBook Pro") and you can't search for specific timeframes. So, I find myself using Google to search with the parameter site:Macrumors.com most of the time. The problem with the Google search is you can't specify it to certain subforums (understandably, because it's a search engine and not made for VBulletin).

Not that any of these fixes are going to fix those who never search to begin with, but it would help me to help them faster.
In theory, you can search phrases.

"MacBook Pro" for example (with quotes). Does that not work?

arn

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
A few capabilities that would be nice:
  • Have the ability to define search preferences in the User CP.
  • Define which forums by default you want to include/exclude in searches.
  • Define which time frame by default you want to use in searches.
probably doable

Quote:
  • Have the ability to save searches that you perform frequently, including search terms, time frame, thread titles or posts, forums to search, etc.
probably doable in some fashion


Quote:
  • Have the ability to specify to search for "this" or "that", or "this" and "that".
    For example, I want to find threads on calibrating batteries, not calibrating displays.
This is how it's supposed to work. Is it not working?

calibrating batteries - search for calibrating and batteries
calibrating | batteries - search for calibrating or batteries
calibrating -displays - search for calibrating, exclude results with the word displays

Quote:
[*]Be able to search more frequently than every 10 seconds. This particularly applies to clicking "Find all posts by a user". You have to wait 10 seconds to search by another user.[/LIST]
done. it's 1 second now.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:43 PM   #44
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
In theory, you can search phrases.

"MacBook Pro" for example (with quotes). Does that not work?

arn

----------



probably doable



probably doable in some fashion




This is how it's supposed to work. Is it not working?

calibrating batteries - search for calibrating and batteries
calibrating | batteries - search for calibrating or batteries
calibrating -displays - search for calibrating, exclude results with the word displays



done. it's 1 second now.

arn
No, the quote searches don't work correctly. For some reason it searches for the phrase, but it also includes the individual words. Try it.

Thanks for changing the repeated search times.

As far as using "and" in a search that just adds "and" as a search term.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:52 PM   #45
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
No, the quote searches don't work correctly. For some reason it searches for the phrase, but it also includes the individual words. Try it.

Thanks for changing the repeated search times.

As far as using "and" in a search that just adds "and" as a search term.
Ya, it seems to highlight the individual words too. But have you seen any results where there the phrase doesn't exist in the result?

arn

testing: macbook crazy

edit: yup, you're right. I'll look into it.
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:35 AM   #46
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
There is a search for individual threads.
Doh!
Thanks. I'm accustomed to going directly to the advanced search pages and doing all of them there. I never noticed that function on the thread pages.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #47
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
A redesign would be nice! Maybe bigger buttons because alot of us are using ipad, iPhones, and Tablets. I know theres a mobile version, but its not nearly as good.

Maybe a hybrid sort of thing, with thumbnails, colors, and stuff!


Just Sayin'
yanksrock100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should the 3.5 mm jack get a redesign Nalmond92 iPhone 18 Apr 23, 2014 04:30 PM
iPad: A redesign is required already gadget123 iPad 31 Nov 4, 2013 06:07 PM
Your thoughts on redesign msavwah MacBook Pro 7 Oct 1, 2013 06:05 PM
Should there be an OS X complete redesign? yliu OS X 6 Aug 20, 2013 02:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC