Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The longer Google takes on releasing an app, the less of a mistake it will be. From many of the post I'm reading, people are getting used to the Apple maps and most in the US do not have major issues with the map app. The exception would be overseas (especially the UK) where there are lots of problems in the mapping database. Unless Goggle matches Apple's app on turn by turn and other features, I can't see everyone switching back to Google maps. Especially when Apple cleans up it's mapping database.

So what you're saying is that Apple's maps are only a disaster for a significant majority of it's userbase.

Jaffaman27

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Nokia Maps has probably the best and most accurate roadmaps in general. There is some areas that are non existent (like Japan i've heard and some others), but in general it's the most detailed solution. Google seems to be more accurate (up to date) in the USA (but that is just one part of the world).

So Nokia is a good (or excellent, depending where you live) solution for Navigation. If you type an address it takes you to the right place. If you type some more important POI (like airport) it knows where to go in most areas in the world.

It works wonders while navigating with a car in europe.
It's always taking you to the right place, shows the speed limits, speed camera locations, with free voice guidance and offline maps. I can't think of anything better. (All this can be only found in the Nokia phones tho)

In general POI data (like restaurants etc) Nokia has some work to do (or the users have). Google is better. The same applies to the satellite imagery. Google is better. But for navigation, Nokia is better.

It seems that people here likes to look their maps in satellite mode. Google is the choice for you. But I've never seen satellite imagery in navigation any useful. It's the correct roadmaps I want. And Nokia shows more small roads etc. that can be useful (not sure in USA as said).

So I think people should use the maps for their strengths.
1. For navigation - Nokia maps (at least the full experience, no comment on the apps capabilities)
2. For looking around for satellite imagery that is more complete and up to date or Street View - Google maps or Google earth
3. For public transportation and traffic information - Nokia or Google (depends a lot where you live)
4. iOS users in the USA might be ok with Apple maps (maybe)

But it seems this app is not what it should be in the end.
Nokias strength in maps is in the navigation and this app doesnt offer the full experience like Nokia phones do (and for a reason, why would they give iOS users this).

But what is the point of this app then? Not sure. I'm sure Nokia wants to get more people use its maps and offer data and POIs but if they don't give them a solid reason to use their maps and only give iOS users a half-baked solution or a bad teaser its not really giving them anything as people will just wait for Apple to get their maps together.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Seen more than a few comments suggesting inaccuracies or lack of data for certain areas. Haven't seen any problems myself but some seem to have.

Yeah. But, I think people's tolerance for mapping data inaccuracies has been greatly reduced since Apple Map's release. Once Google Maps is finally released I expect to see a healthy amount of complaining around here about its data accuracy, whereas before Apple Maps there was barely a whimper in regards to shortcomings of Google Maps.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So what you're saying is that Apple's maps are only a disaster for a significant majority of it's userbase.

Apple is a US company so it makes sense that the US database is updated first. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it. I expect Apple to fix up the international database within a year (based on the complaints posted from UK posters, I hope that the UK has a high priority). Otherwise, it seems to not be a disaster for a majority of people in the US (most people seem to like it).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Now that I've spent some time with HERE Maps, it's impressive. While certainly not perfect (nothing is) they have done a good job. It's a very nice alternative to use while Apple works on their mapping efforts.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Once Google Maps is finally released I expect to see a healthy amount of complaining around here about its data accuracy, whereas before Apple Maps there was barely a whimper in regards to shortcomings of Google Maps.

You are probably correct but Google maps had no competition before (free app). Now that Apple maps and Nokia maps are out, people will start comparing the different free map apps from imagery to accuracy.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Yeah. But, I think people's tolerance for mapping data inaccuracies has been greatly reduced since Apple Map's release. Once Google Maps is finally released I expect to see a healthy amount of complaining around here about its data accuracy, whereas before Apple Maps there was barely a whimper in regards to shortcomings of Google Maps.

People forget quickly, when Google maps was launched it was way worse than Apple maps at launch but improved rapidly after that. We are seeing the same with Apple maps but some how everyone has forgotten that its what happens with all mapping applications, they only get better with use.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
I find it very useful. In mine town maps are pretty good.
Like the feature that i can save some area for offline searching, since i dont have 3/4g ipad.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Y'all can moan and whine about maps, but I actually think Apple maps are BETTER than Nokia AND Google.

I partly agree, partly disagree.

Also, don't think Nokia's HERE maps are anything close to what you get on Nokia phones for example.

HERE is a bad joke. A really bad one.

I'm waiting for the Google Maps app, 'nuff said.
I know Apple does some things right, a lot of them, but the actual maps, POIs and the fact that Apple doesn't tap developers' apps for public transit info directly, but instead is just an app switcher with lipstick on are ridiculous.

POIs and the actual maps will get better over time.
Not sure about the transit info chaos. I just simply use my transit app directly, mostly I know which stations to go to and my apps are nation-wide, cover all stations and can process addresses.
Quite a letdown on Apple's part here.

Glassed Silver:mac

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Google Maps. Bring it. I hope it is released before Christmas.

I'm very doubtful that it will be before Christmas. Currently, I believe Google is making more money by not releasing a free map app then they could from releasing a free map app. Thats because it reduces iPhone 5 sales if people don't like the Apple map app (indirectly increasing Android sales). Also, in order to get approved, Google would most likely have to agree to most of what Apple originally wanted Google to do and match what improvements are in Apple / Nokia maps. There is no way that Google would release a map app that is better in IOS then Android so Google would want to also update the Android map app before releasing an IOS one. I don't believe you will see an IOS Google map app in the near future (Note - Google has the mapping database and a good programming team so it would have been a fairly quick release if they were serious about an IOS map app).

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Apple is a US company so it makes sense that the US database is updated first. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it.

If Apple hadn't pulled my working maps app I would be overjoyed never to touch it again.

Looking at your largest but still minority market over your overall market is stupid, it doesn't make sense at all.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A good article on the technology behind the Apple map app is here. I wasn't aware that the Apple map app will somewhat work offline (not connected). Note - The vector mapping that Apple uses takes up much less storage. The Apple map app will only work offline if you first examine the route you are taking or look at the area of interest in the Apple map app while connected. You need to be zoomed into the detail you want to see while looking at the map and you want to look at the entire route. The non-vectored map apps will also store map data but are much more limited on range.

I tried it on a 150 mile route (it took a little while to look at the entire route :D) but all the detail is there when I'm offline.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, my optimism kind of faded once I saw all the negative comments on here.

I'm actually moving to LA soon and will rely on public transit. Which apps do you rely on for transit? Metro's own app gets terrible reviews, but HopStop looks good.

I use a combo of Metro's website (but not the app they blew that one hard), nextbus.com and hand researching the timetables and maps. Most of the time I'm going to the same places so it wasn't that hard. It's rather easy for me to catch a ride to locations for work if I get myself to the office so that's not really a worry. Although sometimes I still just bus it depending on where I'm going

----------

I completely disagree. And while I don't want to run a debate here in this thread, people overstate the need for a car in LA. And before you ask, yes I've been to LA. And getting a car at this point and time is entirely not an option for me.

As someone currently in LA and using public transit 95% of the time I disagree that it is required to have a car.

Rather like the debate of using a laptop or an iPad, Windows v Mac etc, car versus transit is an individual thing based on a select persons needs and desires

----------

The _World_ uses Google Maps... why reinvent the wheel?

1. Google maps was far from perfect when it started some 7 or so years ago and still isn't 100% perfect now
2. Google is known to restrict features and/or hold them hostage to get usage data that many would rather keep private

Apple's maps isn't perfect but it's no worse than Google was when it was brand new so I'm personally willing to give them time to adjust. I'm with it enough to get that they made the decision to go public now instead of waiting until everything was perfect because that would never happen. Things change too fast for Apple to keep up with everything if they were having to send folks out to gather data themselves. Like it or not, putting in that 'report a problem' and letting us correct mistakes is actually the more efficient method over daily or weekly remapping of the world to keep things up to date. Same with having the required millions of voice samples for Siri provided by folks actually using it rather than trying to hire actors for the next 5 years to provide that data.

If anyone disagrees and finds such issues that deplorable, no one is holding a gun to your wallet or your head. Go find something else to buy.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I dont think google dropped the ball. They took their time thinking Apple would never approve it.

I disagree. There have been numerous map apps in the store since the store started. There's no reason to believe that Apple would not approve their app so long as they don't use private API etc.

I think Google hasn't gotten an app out because they didn't bother working on one despite the writing on the wall for the last 3 years with the company purchases etc out of some belief that Apple would nix the project and reup with Google for their data. So when Apple didn't, they weren't ready for it. ANd now they are trying to cover that up by letting all this talk that Apple won't approve the app out of spite run wild

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
but HopStop looks good.

I had never heard of this app but it's free so I downloaded it. Looks pretty, but the data for the handful of searches I tried sucks. They mislabeled several line numbers, sent me to stops a couple of blocks away when there was one just across the street a couple of times, totally missed some viable routes and are missing whole maps (they only 'Los Angeles' transit map they have is for Riverside transit which is a totally different city an hour drive from the LA Metro Area)

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
What is your problem? Navteq is an U.S. company. Their operations are in USA. Nokia bought it few years ago. I have not promoted Nokia Maps. I have said that I want Google to hurry up and bring us good mapping app.

No problem here. Read the entire thread and specifically the one I was replying to. Comparing accuracy of Finland to the US. It would be more appropriate to compare Florida to Finland. Regardless, Nokia should have hit it out of the park, and IMHO did not.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Horrible! Same junk as Apple Maps, Google Maps! Why bother Nokia, stick to your windows crap phones. I have yet to find anything better than TomTom for the iphone for real world voice navigation with maps locally stored on the device.

-Mike

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
ahahahah

Very clever Apple! I see what you did there. Approved this app with haste to show the world how even Nokia can faceplant on a Maps application.

All of a sudden the pressure valve on iOS Maps has been released.

Kudos

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
This is just a wrapper over a web app. It's slow and text isn't very easy to read.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple Maps. But if someone is going to come out with an actual good mapping solution, it's Google.

It's slow over 3G, I had it for a week and uninstalled it from my iPhone. Still have it on my iPad though.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Horrible! Same junk as Apple Maps, Google Maps! Why bother Nokia, stick to your windows crap phones. I have yet to find anything better than TomTom for the iphone for real world voice navigation with maps locally stored on the device.

-Mike

Agree. With all the hype around HERE maps, I installed it, tried it and delete it. For now I am still using apple maps, google would be a good welcome in the App Store but by then apple maps has been been improving and will be googles greatest map competitor soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.