Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dexio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Hi everyone,
About a few hours ago, my iPhone 3GS's headphone jack stopped working as it used to. I put the headphones in all the way into the jack, and sound from the headphones sounds distorted and bassless. However, if I put the headphones thingymajiggy halfway in the jack, my music sounds fine. I have tested the headphones in other devices and the sound works fine. Can anyone help?! D:

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
ouch! if the headphones are working fine in other devices then your port is more than likely A) needs cleaned or B) something is broken..and hardware needs replaced

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
you probably have dust/lint/gremlins/a dragon in there, try blowing out the jack or seeing if you can see anything in there.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The contact are either worn or corroded. You can try to get some electrical contact cleanr-Deoxit 5-is the best in the world. Spray the headphone male plug then work it in and out. If that doesn't cure it you need to replace the jack.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Most likely a faulty headphone jack. You'd be surprised what gets accumulated over time in that small hole...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.