Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
How about the reason is because someone who just bought a mini at the beginning of March might be totally pissed if a retina mini comes out a month later? :rolleyes:

I think some practical information might be in order here.

The Apple Stores specifically seem to have quite a bit of leeway on an individual basis when dealing with returns/exchanges.

To your point, I suspect that if you bought a mini, and the mini with retina came out a month later, they would probably exchange it for you. The probably part of this would be based on how you treat them.

In other words, if you are nice about it and ask and instead of demand and have not returned six other items to the store already they will likely take care of you.

Personal anecdote to that point.

I bought a macbook pro about 2 years ago that died about 6 weeks after I bought it. I took it in expecting just to get it fixed. As I was doing that I asked a couple of questions about how to get along while I waited for the repair. The tech paused, said "hold on for a few minutes", walked in the back room and about 5 minutes later came back with a brand new unit.

Can't say that will always happen, but it did for me and is one of the things that keeps me buying Apple

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
And how would you know what my personal finances are?

How about the reason is because someone who just bought a mini at the beginning of March might be totally pissed if a retina mini comes out a month later? :rolleyes:

Why else would one go through this trouble then?

You can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the new one (if finances weren't a concern), or just enjoy what you have. Not like it will stop working

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just love the attitude from people like you - "highly unethical behavior". Who are you to tell him what is or is not unethical behavior? How about you just answer the OP's question and keep the ethics lecture to yourself??

Says the person who is now off-track and lecturing someone else.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Why else would one go through this trouble then?

You can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the new one (if finances weren't a concern), or just enjoy what you have. Not like it will stop working

You're being ignorant. Not everyone finds it easy to take the time and trouble of selling a device (which will ALWAYS be at a loss).

Also, even if finances aren't a concern, not everyone finds it palatable to throw out $400 about a month after shelling out the first $400.

I think it's so funny how people jump to conclusions and then assume that they have to be right. Lots of people don't want to spend more than they have to for lots of reasons.

:rolleyes:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Someone somewhere probably went through several returns but more so if the device had dings, scratches, dust under the glass, it did not function properly, etc. etc.

But I doubt anyone is going to admit to just keep on returning waiting on the next gen. FWIW, I do not think it is coming out soon BECAUSE the current mini is selling very well so .......

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
Isn't that what Steve Jobs used to do with his personal car?
I read in his biography that he got a new card every 6 months, so he didn't need to get a license plate.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
That isn't even close to an accurate analogy. You are trying to insinuate that I'm no different from the person offering unsolicited advice. All I'm saying is keep the conversation on point. Answer the questions that are being asked, not the ones that aren't. If the question had been "how many times can I return items, and do you think that is an ethical thing to do?", then it would be perfectly appropriate to chime in with your opinion. If the OP wants to buy and return something 100 times and there is no policy to prevent it, that's for him/her to decide if it is ethical or not.

Note OP:

What's to stop someone from, say, buying an iPad mini today and returning it over and over until the mini Retina comes out?

In MY opinion, ethical ramifications. Please go into the other threads of people asking how to pirate app. Then point out that the OP did not ask for opinions to all the people telling him it is wrong.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
In MY opinion, ethical ramifications. Please go into the other threads of people asking how to pirate app. Then point out that the OP did not ask for opinions to all the people telling him it is wrong.

Well, in my opinion, if people ask for help in pirating apps, then it is sufficient to point out that it is against the rules of MacRumors Forums to ask for or give help pirating apps. There is no need to lecture people that pirating is ethically or morally wrong.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I read in his biography that he got a new card every 6 months, so he didn't need to get a license plate.

Also unethical.

Show me an ethical CEO and I'll show you a unicorn.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011

How is that relevant. He used to changed his cars every six months so that he didn't have to get a number plate. In fact he had to buy a 100000 dollar or so car every 6 months. It was he who had to bear the money for the luxury of not having a number plate. He didn't use to send the car back.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
If you keep doing it, the next thing apple send over to your place is some iThugs to set you straight! :)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't understand the hostility and name calling OP.

Devices do not come out every month as your above post is implying. Apple's policy of 30 day returns partially covers the concerns of new hw being released. Not sure why you think you should be able to buy a device now and get a newly updated one a year later by returning it over and over.

A few things I thought I would add as an alternative strategy and insight:

1) Use your credit card. Alot have benefits that offer price protections and things of this nature that extend beyond 30 days

2) Apple can deny you as a customer. There is no "right" that that you have that forces Apple to keep serving you if you prove to be more of a burden then they are willing to tolerate.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I don't understand the hostility and name calling OP.

Devices do not come out every month as your above post is implying. Apple's policy of 30 day returns partially covers the concerns of new hw being released. Not sure why you think you should be able to buy a device now and get a newly updated one a year later by returning it over and over.

A few things I thought I would add as an alternative strategy and insight:

1) Use your credit card. Alot have benefits that offer price protections and things of this nature that extend beyond 30 days

2) Apple can deny you as a customer. There is no "right" that that you have that forces Apple to keep serving you if you prove to be more of a burden then they are willing to tolerate.

All very good points. But can you please read the entire thread first? I have already stated that I've decided not to do this because of the moral implications involved. I don't get why people need to continue to pile on.

If you feel bad that you weren't able to scold me prior to my realization that this is wrong to do, sorry. But we can probably all move on now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I was just curious. The Apple Store says you can return any item within 30 days, no questions asked.

My question is, how many times can you do this? What's to stop someone from, say, buying an iPad mini today and returning it over and over until the mini Retina comes out?

If the store says that you can return goods, then they have to accept any returns. They can of course refuse to sell anything to you, which I suppose they would do at some point.

----------

Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad, sell it on eBay after a month, buy another one, and so on. Nor did Steve Jobs' car dealer mind at all. Probably every month he sold a new car for $100,000 and bought a new one for $70,000.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I would think that returning something over and over might lead to them making a note on the account or whatever they use.

At best buy I returned my iPad 3 three times because of dust under the screen, yellow screen, etc.

After the third time they told me that I would be unable to return ANYTHING for 3
months, which is when I decided to never buy from them again. Frys has better inventory and they price match.

I mean, I could understand not accepting returns on that particular item, but they basically labeled me a serial returner when the real problem was the product quality.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I find it fascinating and hilarious when people discuss ethics in relation to large corporations.

----------

If the store says that you can return goods, then they have to accept any returns. They can of course refuse to sell anything to you, which I suppose they would do at some point.

----------

Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad, sell it on eBay after a month, buy another one, and so on. Nor did Steve Jobs' car dealer mind at all. Probably every month he sold a new car for $100,000 and bought a new one for $70,000.

Jobs leased his cars. He did take a loss on them though

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
There's one in every crowd :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, that rule doesn't to apply to Mac Rumors.

There's too many to count :)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I would think that returning something over and over might lead to them making a note on the account or whatever they use.

At best buy I returned my iPad 3 three times because of dust under the screen, yellow screen, etc.

After the third time they told me that I would be unable to return ANYTHING for 3
months, which is when I decided to never buy from them again. Frys has better inventory and they price match.

I mean, I could understand not accepting returns on that particular item, but they basically labeled me a serial returner when the real problem was the product quality.

I couldn't see them doing this at an Apple store though, to be honest. Have you tried?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.