Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
My MBA battery is showing "Service battery" so i have few questions..

1) Is it possible to replace my Mid-2011 MBA with 2013 MBA battery? Are they the same size?

2) Should i replace the battery at local computer store or is it gonna void my warranty? ( I guess i don't have warranty anymore since it's over 1 year) So for the future if something goes wrong can apple store still fix my computer or they won't even touch it since it was serviced by non apple store?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My MBA battery is showing "Service battery" so i have few questions..

1) Is it possible to replace my Mid-2011 MBA with 2013 MBA battery? Are they the same size?

2) Should i replace the battery at local computer store or is it gonna void my warranty? ( I guess i don't have warranty anymore since it's over 1 year) So for the future if something goes wrong can apple store still fix my computer or they won't even touch it since it was serviced by non apple store?

Thanks

Your battery is not a user-serviceable part, so replacing it could void your warranty. In addition, I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

solmaker

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
The "Service Battery" message started happening to me after 2 years on my 2010 MBA 11". Apple Care fixed the problem, which also netted a fresh battery with better battery life. In your shoes, I'd probably fork out the dough to have an Apple-certified shop fix the problem.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Your battery is not a user-serviceable part, so replacing it could void your warranty. In addition, I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm not sure whether the shop will replace it with original apple battery or not. Is it ok if the shop replace it with original apple battery? i dont think i should be worry about voiding the warranty because i'm out of apple 1 year warranty.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.