Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Im going to receiving a video soon with 2 minutes of footage of me whizzing past a fixed camera during a big cycling event.

There will always be dozens of other people in each shot, and I want to highlight myself (either a box, arrow or such) as Im coming into shot / flying past the camera.

So a sort of tracking highlight of me. Is it possible to do this in iMovie?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Not possible to actually track you, but you could create a circle in something like Photoshop (Or GIMP) save it as a PNG, bring it into iMovie, drop it onto the video in your timeline and position it so that it shows up as you come into frame, but you won't be able to track this or animate it to follow you.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
You can do this with Final Cut Pro X. While it does cost $300, you can get a free 30 day trial here http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/ which will get you through your short video production. Tons of tutorials online, but it works very similarly to iMovie.

Thanks for that, any idea of an online guide for doing this sort of thing? Not even sure what you would call what I'm trying to do?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Was thinking regards iMovie. Copy the clip again and then turn it into black and white and layer it on the sequence and mask the rest out. Only a simple way without spending money.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Thanks for that, any idea of an online guide for doing this sort of thing? Not even sure what you would call what I'm trying to do?

Briefly, you drop a shape generator onto the clip. This creates an overlay on which you adjust the opacity to just enhance the point of interest. You can adjust the shape's size and position (called a transition) at the start of the clip. You then mark keyframes in the transition timeline and set the position at the keyframes. The shape will then animate between the keyframes. When you get FCPX go the the help and look at "Add transitions effects and generators". It's detailed enough you should be able to figure out exactly what you need to do. On Youtube look for FCPX keyframing tutorials. Once you learn how to do it you should be able to apply it to your clip in just a couple of minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.