Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:25 AM   #26
propower
macrumors 6502

If you think of the Thunderbolt display as a monitor and a hub at this time there is no better option to get a good ips panel + second TB + Ethernet + FW800 + 3 USB...
Blackmagic Multidock - PT11HD HD Native TB AVID 16x16
propower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:34 PM   #27
eizen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
If you think of the Thunderbolt display as a monitor and a hub at this time there is no better option to get a good ips panel + second TB + Ethernet + FW800 + 3 USB...
Also a camera right?
eizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:42 PM   #28
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizen View Post
Also a camera right?
right
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:40 PM   #29
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
How easy is it to stuff a monitor, speakers and other paraphernalia into a back pack to carry on a motorcycle, or ship the same across an ocean?

I suppose not obvious to some geek with a room full of computer stuff, though plainly obvious to a simple itinerant used to moving light.
Sounds like a fun lifestyle, you on the other hand need some tuning.
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #30
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
Sounds like a fun lifestyle, you on the other hand need some tuning.
This sounds like an insult which I don't quite get, simple old chappie that I am. Please explain.

On topic, it was only when the Mac Mini came along that I acquired a computer. It is easily transportable, but not portable. I am not a geek that wants a computer with me at all times, but I did want something easy to move the guts of, and set up again when I move on. I guess a few others do too.

The other advantage of a modular system is that you can upgrade / update the components as needs or desires dictate. With an iMac in general you have to front funds to replace the lot.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:08 PM   #31
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
This sounds like an insult which I don't quite get, simple old chappie that I am. Please explain.

On topic, it was only when the Mac Mini came along that I acquired a computer. It is easily transportable, but not portable. I am not a geek that wants a computer with me at all times, but I did want something easy to move the guts of, and set up again when I move on. I guess a few others do too.

The other advantage of a modular system is that you can upgrade / update the components as needs or desires dictate. With an iMac in general you have to front funds to replace the lot.
How easy is it to stuff a monitor, speakers and other paraphernalia into a back pack to carry on a motorcycle, or ship the same across an ocean?

I suppose not obvious to some geek with a room full of computer stuff, though plainly obvious to a simple itinerant used to moving light.

This kinda of a slap don't ya think
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Scott Botkins
macrumors newbie

I bought an iMac 3 years ago for my first mac. I wish I had spent more time researching about the mac mini because my iMac is overkill and I don't like how it's built all-in-one. I do plan on buying a mac mini as my next computer whenever that may be, especially since the newer ones are as powerful as my i7 iMac.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:58 AM   #33
mapleleafer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Botkins View Post
I do plan on buying a mac mini as my next computer whenever that may be
Me too. I liked the all-in-one format when I got my first iMac. When the time came to get a new computer, I just got another iMac without even considering the mini. I just dismissed it offhand. The shortcomings of the new iMac, though, has forced me to have a serious look at the mini. I don't need a new computer now, but I think my next computer will most likely be a mini. (But who knows what Apple will do to future releases of either that may sway my decision.)
mapleleafer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini