Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Most people could easily sell their AT&T iphones on Craiglist and easily make up the money they would be charged by AT&T for breaking their contract. If people really want to leave AT&T, it's not that hard to do.

People are lazy or think Craigslist is too dangerous or eBay they may get scammed.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm considering selling my Verizon iPhone 5 and switching back to them. Their coverage here is on par with Verizon and AT&T anyway but they offer unlimited data and simultaneous voice+data with the fastest 3G network for back haul o the 4 carriers. Verizon LTE coverage is amazing but I don't do enough long road trips through rural areas for the higher costs to be worth it.

Their nationwide 3g data coverage is inferior to AT&T and Verizon but I would rank it higher than Sprint. For all intents and purposes we might as well consider Sprints 3G network Edge data because it offers the same speeds as Tmobile and AT&T Edge.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
When it comes to an individual plan, you're talking about $20 difference. That's like not eating out 1-2 times a month. I personally don't have a landline so the difference is minimal to me. I care about quality service. The great thing about Verizon for me is that I've always had signal when people of other carriers don't. My signal has been great in Southern California and Michigan (Ann Arbor/Detroit). Plus I have always had LTE wherever I went in SoCal.

Yup, the difference isn't even that significant to switch to a worse service. I'd rather pay for quality service than be a penny pincher and my iPhone be a brick on their EDGE network everywhere.

Zagg did this good comparison

iPhone-ownership-cost-Zagg-chart.jpg

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/0...ship-cost-on-att-verizon-sprint-and-t-mobile/

I'd pay $600 more over 2 years to have LTE everywhere with AT&T/VZW

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
If T-Mobile can get it's LTE out across the country as promised over the next year, I believe they will change the game. When the iPhone 6 comes out, I could see many people jumping ship to T-Mobile, especially if they do not change their pricing structure. Getting ulimited LTE data, voice and text for $70 a month would force AT&T and Verizon to rethink their business plan. Again this is all a big IF. Personally, I don't think T Mobile will have nationwide LTE within a year.

if Att can do it, then tmobile can... well att is bigger and all but i have faith in tmobile.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Wow

I am not sure what is more surprising to me, the OPs title, or the notion that TMobile is for a "lower class".

Full of crap are we?

In every market a carrier has its strength and weaknesses, and the fact that TMobile is officially supporting the iPhone should be great news for everybody because it makes the market more competitive for EVERYONE.

$300 a year isn't a big deal for you? great! Then stick to your beloved carrier. It is obvious that for YOU that $300 is worth it because you are getting that much service/coverage/class out of your carrier.

If you live in an area where Tmobile has good coverage, why wouldn't you switch if you can save money?

I have had bad experiences with Sprint and ATT and wouldn't come close to them, and I travel enough that a Verizon phone (until recently) wouldn't have been a good option. TMobile hasn't been perfect for me, but never has pissed me off even close to want to leave.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I do not know where you live, but the new iPhone 5, works on T-mobile's AWS frequency. Their AWS coverage is pretty good in many cities. I agree their 1900 Mhz, PCS was very poor and I put away my iPhone 5 in December and switched back to my AWS Android phone. The game has changed now. The iPhone 5, will have the best of both worlds on the T-mobile network and will be a real challenge to AT&T. Verizon probably not. Verizon has excellent rural coverage and their LTE is well established. T-mobile's LTE will cover 200 million pops by the end of the year. T-mobile's backhaul is the best. They have modernized their towers and they have the fastest equipment that is able to take full advantage of the fibre optic network to their towers.
Yup, the difference isn't even that significant to switch to a worse service. I'd rather pay for quality service than be a penny pincher and my iPhone be a brick on their EDGE network everywhere.

Zagg did this good comparison

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/0...ship-cost-on-att-verizon-sprint-and-t-mobile/

I'd pay $600 more over 2 years to have LTE everywhere with AT&T/VZW

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I do not know where you live, but the new iPhone 5, works on T-mobile's AWS frequency. Their AWS coverage is pretty good in many cities. I agree their 1900 Mhz, PCS was very poor and I put away my iPhone 5 in December and switched back to my AWS Android phone.
Yet when you leave any major city, it drops down to EDGE, doesn't matter what phone you have. T-Mobile only covers major cities with HSPA, that's it. Everywhere else is EDGE. Look at any coverage map and zoom in.

T-mobile's LTE will cover 200 million pops by the end of the year. T-mobile's backhaul is the best.
How can you guarantee this? They have been backpedaling on everything they've said. They haven't met their goal for PCS HSPA+ by the end of 2012. The CEO went on record to say LTE will be online in Vegas within 2 weeks of CES. It just went online and took over 2 months more. They don't even have 3G deployed across their network, how will they get LTE done so fast?

T-mobile's backhaul is the best. They have modernized their towers and they have the fastest equipment that is able to take full advantage of the fibre optic network to their towers.

Why so? Are VZW's and AT&T's towers archaic? Do they plan on not being modern at all? They already boast the fastest networks in the US with their fast 2x10 LTE networks.

If their backhaul is so superior, why do they still have so much EDGE outside of any major city, whereas AT&T/VZW have probably deployed LTE?

Just for the record, both VZW/AT&T have committed to LTE-A (in some areas) by the end of the year. Something only T-Mobile dreams of doing anytime soon.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
+10000 and that's why I switch to T-mobile zero dropped calls.

Same. I had AT&T since the first iPhone and finally dropped them last week when I ported my # to T-mobile. I can't tell you how many dropped calls I had with AT&T and the data speeds were practically non existent. In the day time, I would get between 0.00 and maybe .50Mbps and at night, maybe 1.5Mbps if I was lucky.

In January 2011, I decided to also try a 4S in Verizon. Worst mistake I ever made. Data speeds were worse, no 3G at home and dropped calls half the time. I finally had enough and broke my contract in January and sold the phone on eBay with a bad ESN for $350.

So as I said, I ported my AT&T # to T-Mobile last week and have been extremely happy. No dropped calls, data speeds on my Nexus 4 have been consistently between 17-21Mbps and lately have been peaking at even 26-27Mbps. I also have a 4S that I am using on the $30 100 min plan and my speeds there reach up to 9Mbps and more occasionally.

I also have a Nexus 7 now on T-Mobile that gets consistently between 5-10Mbps. When I bought it, it came with a AT&T sim and I activated it on AT&T. Bad mistake as I got the same crappy speeds as I got since 2007 on the iPhones. A few days of that and I went and ordered a few T-Mobile sims so I could use one on the Nexus 7.

I will never go back to AT&T or Verizon. I'm glad I never got a iPhone 5 because AT&T still doesn't have reliable LTE here. My boss has a note 2 on AT&T and rarely gets LTE. He had a iPhone 5 for a few months before trading it for the note 2 and rarely got LTE when he had it.

T-Mobile is doing the right thing here and I hope they continue improving their network. It's great here in Denver already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.