Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I have about 250 GB worth of Blu-Ray movies (approx. 10 GB each) that I would like to store on an external hard drive, connected to my 1st generation Time Capsule (USB 2.0). Will this setup be fast enough to draw a movie from the drive to Time Capsule, send to my mid-2011 Air over Wi-fi, and then send back to my Time Capsule for play on Apple TV 3, connected by ethernet?

Thanks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have about 250 GB worth of Blu-Ray movies (approx. 10 GB each) that I would like to store on an external hard drive, connected to my 1st generation Time Capsule (USB 2.0). Will this setup be fast enough to draw a movie from the drive to Time Capsule, send to my mid-2011 Air over Wi-fi, and then send back to my Time Capsule for play on Apple TV 3, connected by ethernet?

Thanks.
I don't remember if the 1st gen TC's were used the "n" protocol, but if they do, you should not have a problem depending on the distance the units are apart. I used a TC exactly like this. It was in the basement along with the aTV in the next room. My MBP is on the first floor. I used 100% wifi (except for the TC connected to the modem) and never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.