Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
One does still need to kill apps in iOS7.
Easily seen when new app won't login or parse data until you start closing others, right there in the multitasking window.

That's a tough path you're headed down. I agree with you but there are very persistent folks here that read how it's supposed to work won't see it any other way.

I've read the documentation, understand it the best I can, and then see in real life that a low memory condition causes issues. When my daughter has 50 applications in the recently used app list the lag going into Settings drives me nuts. Remove all apps from the recently used apps list and problem solved.

Blame Apple for poor implementation, blame the developers for apps that don't follow the rules, blame the full moon... I clear my recently used apps list every night. My phone doesn't have performance issues and games don't crash when I launch them.

I don't mean to sound snippy. Just left-over frustration.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
One does still need to kill apps in iOS7.
Easily seen when new app won't login or parse data until you start closing others, right there in the multitasking window.

----------

Anyone with auto brightness issues after a while?

-------------

Just saw that iTunes accounts in system services has chewed 600MB of data, including cellular.

I suspect it's iTunes Match cover art.
Sometimes and app or two might need to be closed for one reason or another. But in the overall sense of closing all apps, there's usually no need for that (not to mention that almost all of them aren't even really open anyway once you leave and don't use them for a little while, not counting some new background things in iOS 7 that haven't really been added most apps anyway).

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Sorry, but cannot help laughing at the 'paid developers' who paid the money to access the iphone ios a week early, an ios that is free.
And then ask questions on how to install it!
Apple needs to tighten it's requirements for developers, it's nonsense people who don't 'develop', getting hold of beta and gm releases before they are 'live'.

They moan about it not working, or don't know how it works.

For those people, start the moans the day it's officially released...

If someone paid for the GM they're a moron. Doesn't even need a UDID registered, but neither did the betas.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Yup, those are gone from Notification Center.

There's no need to kill all apps given Apple's implementation of how apps work in the background, which is most likely why there's no option for that.

They could have jus kept the option of having twitter & Facebook in the notification center for those who required it. No harm as far as I can see. To give a feature & take it back completely is just stupid.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They could have jus kept the option of having twitter & Facebook in the notification center for those who required it. No harm as far as I can see. To give a feature & take it back completely is just stupid.
Happens all the time with a lot of things. I think they don't really see it fitting with the concept of Notification Center as it is now, so it's no longer there.

----------

I Just noticed Apple changed the LTE switch/toggle to 4G in the iOS7GM. See the screenshots on my blog http://patjem.nl/apple-verandert-lte-schakelaar-4g-ios7/
Still LTE here...must be more of a carrier-related type of thing.

StrongArmmed

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Miami, FL
Could someone please give me the step by step to install the GM on my iPhone 5 with a Windows PC, I paid the 99 dollar developer fee and have been using the os7 betas. I downloaded the GM seed from the dev portal but when I try to restore iTunes won't let me, I saw in a couple posts that you can restore from iCloud but you won't be able to use iTunes until 11.1 comes out, how do I do this?
Thanks.

If you're a dev:
  1. download the appropriate GM from the developer.apple.com website.
  2. Use 7Zip on Windows to open the archive. You have to open the main archive then extract another folder. You ultimately want the .ipsw file
  3. Open iTunes 11.x on your windows box. Hold Shift and click Restore. Find the .ipsw file
  4. Select the file and begin update
  5. profit.

dmoening

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Not sure if this question has been asked yet, but will we be able to update OTA from the GM to the public release version on Wednesday? Or will we have to restore the iPhone via a PC on launch day? Sorry if i'm being redundant here.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Not sure if this question has been asked yet, but will we be able to update OTA from the GM to the public release version on Wednesday? Or will we have to restore the iPhone via a PC on launch day? Sorry if i'm being redundant here.

GM *is* the public release, it's just given to Devs early.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Hello fellow Ohioan! So I will not have any issue updating to future versions OTA with this?

Howdy!

No, you really shouldn't have any problem with OTA updates. This is the same version being loaded into all the new iPhones. So, even if a major bug were found and an update released, anyone running the GM should receive it just as people with the new phones do (or those who receive it during wide release next week).

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
Happens all the time with a lot of things. I think they don't really see it fitting with the concept of Notification Center as it is now, so it's no longer there.

----------

Still LTE here...must be more of a carrier-related type of thing.

MAybe a Vodafone only change? My Spanish Vodafone SIM was in the mobile

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

Worst thing about ios 7 in my opinion. I really liked the facebook and especially twitter buttons. To take them out wa stupid they could easily go into control centre

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008

Are we expected to care what they think? It could have been an optional feature from the settings for people who found the feature useful.

----------

Worst thing about ios 7 in my opinion. I really liked the facebook and especially twitter buttons. To take them out wa stupid they could easily go into control centre

That and why are buttons I want in Control Center not customisable. Why does Apple decide what tools & apps I want quick access to on my phone.

I would really prefer to toggle on & off my 3G instead of Night Mode which I never use.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are we expected to care what they think? It could have been an optional feature from the settings for people who found the feature useful.

----------

That and why are buttons I want in Control Center not customisable. Why does Apple decide what tools & apps I want quick access to on my phone.

I would really prefer to toggle on & off my 3G instead of Night Mode which I never use.
You don't have to care, but that's how Apple does things, and how they have always been doing them. Nothing new or surprising really.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I don't think so. I put the GM on a ipad 3 and the file I downloaded from apple's ios dev center is called

ios_7_gm_seed__ipad_wifi__cellular_model_for_att__11a465.dmg

That's a GM seed, not a beta.

I reckon the last beta for ipads was beta 6.

They may decide to do public releases at different times for different devices. Maybe this has more to do with managing server overload than what constitutes a GM or beta.
What I mean by that is this: although this will be the public release of iOS 7.0 for iPhones, it will most likely be a different build for iPads as they started later on those and they aren't doing a public release until the new ipads next month...so, the first public iOS 7 on iPads will be 7.0.1. Developers keep sending bug reports to Apple with this new "GM" on iPads, and Apple, I'm sure, is still working on it for the iPads as they release the first beta later than the first beta for iPhones.

• I am wondering, after seeing the new processors in iPhone 5s, if the new iPad will be able to do 2 apps at once on a split screen!?

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Some things I've noticed:

1. Imbedded YouTube videos will show for a second then leaves an empty space where it would be on a web page. In safari.

2. In a text box holding down to bring up the magnifier is buggy. So is copy/paste because the cursor won't show up as it did in iOS 6.

3. App downloading and installing time is drastically faster than iOS 6. I have installed a couple where there was immediately an update as if what I downloaded wasn't the most current version of that app.

4. I am seeing better battery life than with iOS 6 on an iPhone 5. The phone stays cooler and doesn't lose as much overnight off the charger. Very happy about that. My wife said the same thing without me mentioning battery life at all to her. Same phone as me also on the GM.

5. The 'classic' sounds are not the exact same. They are very metallic sounding almost like a chime sound was added. Take the tri tone sound, and play both the iOS 6 version and the iOS 7 GM version. There is a definite difference. Classic sounds were normal in beta 6.

6. All of my apps now work. Sharepoint, Skydrive Pro, and a couple others were getting errors that went away from beta 6 to GM.

7. iTunes Radio was displaying a network error despite being on wifi. I have cellular disabled but I had to reset the phone when on wifi to get Radio to work. It appears if you launch it with cellular turned off for that app it will not connect even once you get to wifi.

8. In Photos, if you go into an album, tapping the album button on the bottom right doesn't take you back to the album list. You have to hit the top left Albums button. It would be nice if the bottom buttons took you back once within that section.

thereddon

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
make sure you have the right file

If you're receiving firmware issues, make sure you have the right file. For instance, I'm using an iPhone 5, aka "iPhone5,1" aka iPhone "A1428" which I have on ATT in the US. I think A1429 is the Verizon phone and is iPhone5,2 but I could be completely wrong on that.

Verify your model at http://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

You can see your model number in the general about settings of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.