Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckystephens

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
Buying iPad 2, giving iPad to my wife.

She is a elementary school teacher and I have been downloading some apps that I think she might be able to use in the classroom. This is the list so far:

IEP Checklist
TeacherPal
PlanBook
GradeBook Pro
Numbers
Pages
GoodReader
DropBox
PenUltimate

She has an iMac at home. She uses a SmartBoard daily in the classroom, so the iPad will be mostly used to replace her Grade Book, Lesson Plan Book, Calendar, etc. Have any other teachers out there used the above apps to create a paper free workflow? Is this realistic? Are there any other app's I should take a look at?

kytchr

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Infinite Campus Gradebook on Ipad

I was so excited when I got my Ipad with the thought of being able to walk around my classroom and grade student work. I was really disappointed when I realized that the gradebook system which my school uses needs Java to access the gradebook feature. With Ipad not supporting Java/Flash I knew that I was going to have to find a way to make this work. I did a thorough search for an app that would allow me to run Java on my Ipad. Cloud Browse seemed to be the one that I was finding that most people used for this. The app was very slow to work, even with the Premium version, so I decided to try another route. I thought if I could use an app that would allow me to access my desktop PC from school, then I would have accessibility to use all portions of Infinite Campus, including the sites which require Java. I downloaded the app Splashtop to my Ipad, and installed it on my PC. It connected perfectly the first time I tried it. I have my pc attached to a projector and now when I run the Splashtop app, I have access to my desktop pc and all of the files and programs which are on it. The program also allows me to use my Ipad as a mobi device in my classroom and project to the students whatever site we want to visit, via my ipad. I also installed the app on my Iphone, and now it is also a mobile remote for my pc. While in a teacher meeting yesterday, I logged onto the Splashtop app from my Ipad. I pulled up Microsoft Word and typed the notes directly to word. when I got back to my classroom, the notes that I had typed in the meeting were there on my desktop and they had been saved into word. This is an awesome way to be able to use word features and java features on the ipad. It allows you to see flash/java sites that you couldn't otherwise. Best $4.99 I've ever spent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.