Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:12 AM   #1
ggoerl
macrumors regular

G5, no video output, red mobo light

My friend just got a G5 2.5GHZ Liquid cooled, turns on fine, does the chime and sounds like it's booting up. Except those no video output. I can can confirm it's not the graphics card as I have swapped out it out with a working one from another g5. The only thing now is I get a red led on the motherboard only thing is I can't tell which one it is as it's seated behind the liquid cooling/radiator. It's on the lower half of the board so I would say it's level with lower 1st ram slot.
ggoerl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoerl View Post
My friend just got a G5 2.5GHZ Liquid cooled, turns on fine, does the chime and sounds like it's booting up. Except those no video output. I can can confirm it's not the graphics card as I have swapped out it out with a working one from another g5. The only thing now is I get a red led on the motherboard only thing is I can't tell which one it is as it's seated behind the liquid cooling/radiator. It's on the lower half of the board so I would say it's level with lower 1st ram slot.
Is there anything printed on the circuit board near it?

Also, are there any PCI expansion cards installed? What video card do you have? What version of OS X is installed?

Recently I had 10.5.8 failing miserably because of a PCI Ethernet card. Also had trouble trying to reinstall the system from a 10.5.2 disc when I had a flashed PC ATI FireGL X3 graphics card installed that required 10.5.8 drivers.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
SuperCompu2
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SuperCompu2
Is the door securely shut? Also, is the air deflector securely in place? G5's get kinda upset if you don't have the plastic deflector in the right spot...
SuperCompu2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

I think it is processor problem. One or both CPU's might be damaged or need to be reseated.

Here is other leds and their meanings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
ggoerl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post
Is there anything printed on the circuit board near it?

Also, are there any PCI expansion cards installed? What video card do you have? What version of OS X is installed?

Recently I had 10.5.8 failing miserably because of a PCI Ethernet card. Also had trouble trying to reinstall the system from a 10.5.2 disc when I had a flashed PC ATI FireGL X3 graphics card installed that required 10.5.8 drivers.
Nope not that I could see nothing on the board, no extras installed. Honestly don't know about the card but they were both the same so it's very basic low end card. I know leopard is installed and it's up to date so I would assume 10.5.8 then.

Yes I know of the picky-ness of these machines the air deflector is secure and door secure shut. I have another g5 that I have problems with as well currently.

I have somewhat narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things, the logic board is bad or the processors need to be reseated.

Last edited by ggoerl; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:25 PM   #6
ggoerl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotaccian View Post
I think it is processor problem. One or both CPU's might be damaged or need to be reseated.

Here is other leds and their meanings:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652
I've looked at that before but it's somewhat useless as they don't describe much of the leds. As well as I don't see any of those leds next to the dimms.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I now noticed that if you have Dual not Quad 2.5Ghz it is 2004 not 2005 model... but I still think that if that led is near the CPU it points to CPU problem, based on my Googling.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM   #8
840quadra

If possible, simply try to re-seat all of the memory,and easy to access connections or cards linked to the motherboard.

I had a G5 2.0 shipped to me with a similar problem, I think it was caused by my Airport Extreme card not being fully seated, but I went ahead and unplugged, and re-connected everything else I could (outside of the processors) just to be sure.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:56 PM   #9
ggoerl
macrumors regular

I've reseated everything possible, I actually have two g5's I'm struggling with right now. I've swapped ram between the two, swapped graphics cards, even checked the voltage on the pram battery. My last resort is to reseat and renew the thermal paste for the processors. But it looks like I'm about out of options. I had a feeling it might've been one of the cpu leds that was light.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:36 PM   #10
SuperCompu2
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SuperCompu2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoerl View Post
I've reseated everything possible, I actually have two g5's I'm struggling with right now. I've swapped ram between the two, swapped graphics cards, even checked the voltage on the pram battery. My last resort is to reseat and renew the thermal paste for the processors. But it looks like I'm about out of options. I had a feeling it might've been one of the cpu leds that was light.
Have you done an SMC reset as well? (little grey button)

I know some of this stuff sounds obvious, but in my experience sometimes I've overlooked simple fixes like PRAM and the like, which could have saved me some time...
SuperCompu2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:38 PM   #11
ggoerl
macrumors regular

yup, still to no avail. It's my friends computer so we might just put it up for sale for parts or repair at this point. As we don't have the proper tools to access the processor nor want to spend anymore time, effort and money in tools just to find out it might be something more serious ala logic board.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs