Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
chevywhatever
macrumors newbie

iMac Caveat

Are you sure you REALLY want one of the first 2012 iMacs to roll off the line?
As a mechanical engineer with almost 30 yrs experience, and considering the mfg. problem delays, I'm hesitant.
chevywhatever is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Thalman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevywhatever View Post
As a mechanical engineer with almost 30 yrs experience, and considering the mfg. problem delays, I'm hesitant.
I do, I do, I do, I do, infinity I do
Thalman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:57 PM   #3
timcullis
macrumors member

clip clop, clip clop, clip clop...

(sound of Billy Goats Gruff on their way to the bridge under which lives the fearsome TROLL).
timcullis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Ademordna
macrumors regular

Does anyone know for certain what the manufacture problem actually was?
Ademordna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
WrrN
macrumors regular

Quote:
As a digital art pro awaiting a new iMac to replace an aging Apple product, I can understand your tentative approach. Admittedly, your post has cast a tinge of doubt in my head. I'm diving in head first with blind trust that all will work. If I'm hit with a significant iMac problem, my lacking backup plan would be to temporarily revert to old technology, which is not a pleasant thought. However, I've come to trust the Mac line. I imagine there are many other business users like me. I place my trust in Apple's QA department.
WrrN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
MeFromHere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademordna View Post
Does anyone know for certain what the manufacture problem actually was?
We don't even know for certain that there ARE/WERE any manufacturing problems. Only the rumor mill says there have been problems.

Apple originally announced the new iMac to be shipped in November (for the 21.5") and in December (for the 27"). As far as we know, both flavors are still on schedule.

If November passes without the first 21.5" models shipping, then we'll know there's a delay.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
CoreyLahey
Banned

Quote:
I'm an astronaut with extensive knowledge in the fields of Kung Fu and anthropology. My work for several secret societies has led me to believe, that Apple will replace faulty products within a period described as "warranty". Other sources claim that the new iMacs will require gorilla blood to function properly, but I'm not supposed to talk about this.
CoreyLahey is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:16 PM   #8
chevywhatever
macrumors newbie

Oh,... ha! Nope, no troll. Yikes!

Actually I've been waiting patiently since March when I decided to convert my world to Mac. I guess I'm not getting off to a very good start with Apple. My concern is with the new screen lamination since it's an all-in-one. Maybe I'll wait for you guys to get the first ones and I'll order in Jan. And, of course, there is warranty.

In my book, 569 days between destop products is a delay. I can't help thinking that Apple is missing out on business opportunity by not keeping up with their desktop line. But that's another discussion!

Jim W.
chevywhatever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh,... ha! Nope, no troll. Yikes!

Actually I've been waiting patiently since March when I decided to convert my world to Mac. I guess I'm not getting off to a very good start with Apple. My concern is with the new screen lamination since it's an all-in-one. Maybe I'll wait for you guys to get the first ones and I'll order in Jan. And, of course, there is warranty.

In my book, 569 days between destop products is a delay. I can't help thinking that Apple is missing out on business opportunity by not keeping up with their desktop line. But that's another discussion!

Jim W.
You take a chance every time you buy a rev A product, and that doesn't only apply to computers. But the risk is mitigated by the warranty, especially if you purchase AppleCare or your credit card doubles the manufacturer's warranty. But if you want to wait to see if early adopters have problems with the 2012 iMacs, ordering in January probably won't help - it'll probably take more time & sales before any systemic defects hit the radar.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Ademordna
macrumors regular

My worst experiences have always concerned new software, not hardware. But we shall see! I did have a small panic about rushing in for the new iMac (after reading this forum!) but have since calmed myself back down
Ademordna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademordna View Post
My worst experiences have always concerned new software, not hardware. But we shall see! I did have a small panic about rushing in for the new iMac (after reading this forum!) but have since calmed myself back down
This forum is a great place for causing panic lol !
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

I'll buy Apple Care which is cheap with a student discount, then it becomes Apple's problem like it should be. But yes, I have some amount of concern it won't be perfect.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Vuddha
macrumors member

Quote:
I agree with waiting for a little bit. But my reason maybe a little different than others.

I am planning to get a NEW 27" IMAC [if they ever come out] and use Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop® 8 for Gamming.
I work with Photoshop, and Adobe Premier, After Effects and I play WoW on MAC and Star Wars Old Republic and other PC only games. I have a Synology DS212+ NAS for Data and Backup.

Going with:
27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel core I7 with 8MB L3 cache
8GB Ram, Upgrade to 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 from OWC or Crucial
1TB 7200rpm Fusion Drive, or 768GB SSD with an External Thunderbolt Drive.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
AppleCare Protection Plan
Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer

Choices of drive 768GB SSD, 1T or 3T Fusion HHD, 1T or 3T HDD

The problem is with Bootcamp you need to partition your drive. You don't need a whole new drive. (Note - 3TB drives can't currently be partitioned for Bootcamp.) and I rather use Bootcamp. I am confused as to what Drive setup I should get?

Now we get to the reason why I might wait before I get my Imac. Maybe OWC has looked into doing Turnkey with the New Imac's and Install Larger SSD [256GB or 512GB with a fast 1T HDD or 4T] with or without the Fusion part? Not knowing if the IMAC 27" Drive bay will even accept them? Here’s Hoping.

Apple may even fix Bootcamp to work with 3T HDD and Fusion 3T. But would be even better is for them to give upgrades of 256GB or 512GB ssd with the Fusion Drive. So this is the reason I might wait.
Vuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:54 PM   #14
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuddha View Post
I agree with waiting for a little bit. But my reason maybe a little different than others.

I am planning to get a NEW 27" IMAC [if they ever come out] and use Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop® 8 for Gamming.
I work with Photoshop, and Adobe Premier, After Effects and I play WoW on MAC and Star Wars Old Republic and other PC only games. I have a Synology DS212+ NAS for Data and Backup.

Going with:
27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel core I7 with 8MB L3 cache
8GB Ram, Upgrade to 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 from OWC or Crucial
1TB 7200rpm Fusion Drive, or 768GB SSD with an External Thunderbolt Drive.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
AppleCare Protection Plan
Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer

Choices of drive 768GB SSD, 1T or 3T Fusion HHD, 1T or 3T HDD

The problem is with Bootcamp you need to partition your drive. You don't need a whole new drive. (Note - 3TB drives can't currently be partitioned for Bootcamp.) and I rather use Bootcamp. I am confused as to what Drive setup I should get?

Now we get to the reason why I might wait before I get my Imac. Maybe OWC has looked into doing Turnkey with the New Imac's and Install Larger SSD [256GB or 512GB with a fast 1T HDD or 4T] with or without the Fusion part? Not knowing if the IMAC 27" Drive bay will even accept them? Here’s Hoping.

Apple may even fix Bootcamp to work with 3T HDD and Fusion 3T. But would be even better is for them to give upgrades of 256GB or 512GB ssd with the Fusion Drive. So this is the reason I might wait.
why not install win 8 over usb3 or thunderbolt to a ssd/7200 drive.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Vuddha
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyturbouk View Post
why not install win 8 over usb3 or thunderbolt to a ssd/7200 drive.
From what I have seen, you need to install Windows to an Internal HDD or SSD only.

This a Quote from the Bootcamp Manual.
"Creating a Partition for Windows
Boot Camp Assistant helps you create a new partition for Windows on an internal disk.
The assistant dynamically partitions your startup disk, creating a new partition for
Windows without erasing your existing Mac OS X system. If you have a computer with
multiple internal disks, you can create a second partition on any of those disks or use
an entire disk for Windows. See “Creating a Partition on a Computer with Multiple
Internal Disks”"

"Boot Camp Assistant works only with internal disks. You cannot use Boot Camp Assistant to partition and install Windows on an external disk. "

Also I don't think you can load to an External Disk. Also I understand that it won't work on 3T Fusion internal either.

I want to know if Bootcamp will work on the New 768 SSD of the New Imacs??
Vuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:37 PM   #16
maxira
macrumors member

The Chinese have anticipated Apple! these are the new iClone!
http://tech-neet.com/?p=6607
maxira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Lucianrider
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxira View Post
The Chinese have anticipated Apple! these are the new iClone!
http://tech-neet.com/?p=6607
If I wasn't so happy with the way Windows 7 is running on a second monitor via parallels I wouldn't mind having one of those next to me 21.5" iMac!!

I'm amazed that this product has made it to market! Surely Apple must be using its Chinese resources to sue the hell out of the makers!!
Lucianrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac