Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I like to be able to have access to my computers. The ifixit guide to disassembly of the 2011 Imac is great, but shows just how complicated it is. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the potential for full access to the insides of the new Imac, with the glass " friction stir welding!!". I guess we won't be using suction cups. Can we get inside it?

One of the reasons I was interested is I might get the basic 21.5 with the 5400 HD and put a SSD in instead

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well, ifixit are bound to do a teardown, but I wouldn't try it personally...I leave my Imac's alone. Apart from RAM upgrades, I'm not happy with the idea of splitting them open.

As you also point out, "Friction Welding" sounds like a "Stay Put" technology. I'm happy enough to open my MBP, but my MBA and my Imac remain as is.

I'll leave the heavy engineering to you youngsters!:)

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
glass " friction stir welding!!"
There's no welding to merge glass and metal together, I'm telling you. Friction stir welding is used to merge the rear cover and the front part containing Apple logo. I believe we'll still be opening the new iMacs in traditional way - by removing the glass(+display in new ones) with suction cups

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There's no welding to merge glass and metal together, I'm telling you. Friction stir welding is used to merge the rear cover and the front part containing Apple logo. I believe we'll still be opening the new iMacs in traditional way - by removing the glass(+display in new ones) with suction cups

Well, I always watch the teardown videos with interest...Just not a job I would relish myself.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
It could be much worse when everything is shut tight, it could be much easier because the thinner design has stuff clustered up less on the inside.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It seems like it might be easier to get into than the previous gen iMac. I'm sure it will still use magnets and since the glass and display are fused, they will come off as one piece and there will be no worrying about dust or fingerprints.
Now I work on electronics for a living, so I may look at this a little differently than most, but I really don't think it will be too bad... UNLESS there is any glue involved at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.