Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Uniformed Services - that is those in uniform who serve the common good

I am extending the contest one extra day because of my family obligations on Thanksgiving.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Miramar%2520Air%2520Show%2520-%25202012-4662.jpg

"Happy to Serve"

Xzag

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
busted

some uniforms are more obvious than others

Attachments

• no pics (1).jpg
    no pics (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269

lobsterplant

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
took this at a veterans day parade

IMG_2435.jpg
this is my submitted photo

why cant i get this any bigger like the larger pictures above

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
As usual, there are a lot of great images. I’ve done my best in the C&C to critique without being critical. I hope my comments will be received that way.

acearchie – I cannot argue with your creative interpretation of the theme. Given the situation, the Glamcab Girls were definitely serving the common good. I love how the rich red of the uniforms pops out when all of the other colors are fairly flat. The expressions on the women’s faces and the way they are looking in different directions certainly conveys the good humor and chaos of the moment. My only complaint is the motion blur in the left woman’s head and the right woman’s hand. They are very distracting, but not in your control.

milbournosphere – I love this shot. We are so used to seeing the painful images associated with service. It is great to see a lighter moment. I get a sense of real engagement between you and this soldier. B&W was a wise choice and the textures you have captured are fantastic. I am bothered by the boom right over his head. It feels like it is intruding. I would also like to see you open up the shadows a little. I would like to see a little more of his face.

JDDavis – Just outstanding. The lighting and contrast bring out so many layers of texture and shading. The image speaks very loudly of the values and commitment of those that serve. Where is this?

fcortese – I am having a lot of difficulty with this image. The orange of the leaves is the most dominant feature for me. Too much of the left side of the image is a bit blown out and the wall cuts the image in half. I would also like to see a little more tonal texture in the statue. This is not a bad image, but it just doesn’t do it for me.

CK Williams – A college dorm mate went to Ranger training right after graduation. He had the same intense focus I see in these men. You convey a lot even though the distance limits the amount of detail. I normally do not like flat tones, but it works in this image. I would like to see you take out the wire in the upper left. I would have cropped out part of the forest. When I did that I got a better sense of this as a waterborne exercise and the elongated frame enhanced the sense of movement.

SLC Flyfishing – I don’t know if you intending it, but I found a lot of humor in the contrasts in this image: the small boat among the large boats, and the gunner and photographer. You did a good job capturing the colors and textures of the ships. The flags and the red behind the gun are nice spots of color to break the military drab colors.

Xzag – I like the concept, but this image does not work for me. You captured the colors well, but it has too many technical problems. A properly composed image will have a prominent vertical or horizontal line. This image should be rotated and so that the kiosk is perfectly vertical. My second problem is that I am confused about what is really the subject. The kiosk and officer is in focus but the out of focus man is the dominant feature of the iamge. My eye just does not know where to go.

lobsterplant – You have done a great job of capturing the pride and distinction of this veteran. The way you composed this makes me feel that he is connecting to me. That is a hard thing to capture. My only issue here is the reflection in the glasses. I know you cannot control that, but I would have liked to see his eyes better.

So………………

3rd: acearchie
2nd: lobsterplant
1st: JDDavis

It is up to you Jeff. Looking forward to the next theme.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks Deep Diver! I was glad to be able to participate in this weeks contest. I had been going through old photos from a volunteer stint with the US Navy two years ago and decided I'd pick one for this contest. Out of hundreds (I was aboard for 2months) this was one of the technically better grabs I got, all I had was a crappy Canon Powershot p&s camera with me.

If anyone was curious the shot was taken from the USNS Mercy hospital ship, the other ship is an Indonesian military vessel that was prepping to load medicines onto our boat for distribution in the Maluku provinces. The shot was captured just off shore from Jakarta.

Congrats to the winner, I'm excited to see what the next theme is, and I'm similarly excited to see that the weekly contest is still going. I was the original creator something like 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks again Deep Diver!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for judging and thanks for the vote Deep Diver. That's the Color Guard statue at the Air Force Memorial in D.C. It's a neat place to take pictures at night as all of the monuments in D.C. are. I'll try to have a new contest up soon.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Nice job Jeff. I loved the shot the minute I saw it. Well deserved. Congrats to all and thanks for the judging and comments, deep diver.

Xzag

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
review

thanks for the comments deep diver, I cannot argue at all. I did not edit the photo, but I will the next time I post one in the contest. Having said that, I purposefully did NOT edit the photo, because I was "caught" by the security detail and deemed too close to the Korean presidential house, and that is why the guy on the left is out of focus (usually they will take your camera and delete the photo, which is an interesting juxtaposition to the USA, but he just ushered me away). For what it is worth, if I had a longer lens on hand, I thought a good shot would be getting the woman in the tower looking in her mirror at me, which I thought would be cool, but if I showed up with that long of a lens, they might have just shot me....ha!

I will try and post to this more often to keep it going!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.