Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSengKin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Hello Mac fanatics! Could you help me untangle this situation of mine?

Let me tell you the purpose of this all-in-one. I have plenty of softwares that has gotta do with graphics. Photo-editing, photoshop, graphic designing and such so.
Therefore, I would need the necessary configurations to ensure my new iMac stays on track without a glitch.

I chose the high end 27-inch model. Then again, since Apple's Online Store offers customers the opportunity to build one based on their requirements, I thought of making use of it.

My question now is, do I need these changes:

1). 3.2GHz Core i5 to 3.4 GHz Core i7?
2). 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM?

I just want to make sure my iMac has a fluid-like performance when I run all these programs simultaneously. Plus, I'm going to use this iMac for a few years. So, please tell me your recommendations and suggestions.

Your help would make my life easier. Thanks! Have a nice day :)

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
If you have the money, the processor upgrade may be worth it for you. Much of that depends on how multi-threaded your graphics applications are. Video compression? Yes. Photoshop? Kinda.

As for the RAM, you can purchase RAM anywhere. With the 27" iMac, the RAM is user-upgradeable. (Not so for the 21" iMac.) 16GB RAM kits aren't expensive unless you BTO your Mac. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.