Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I have hooked up my air to a larger monitor. And also have it setup to where they are not mirroring each other.

BUT is there a way to designate which Monitor will be the main monitor. So the dock shows up on the NON air monitor.

I an t figure out how to do that . (in the windows world you would tell it which one to be monitor 1 etc).

Also, I noticed if I am on an application (i.e. Email or safari etc) and I take it to full screen, it moves what is on the 2nd monitor to blank. I have to keep it in NON frull screen. Is that normal? Or is there a setting where you tell the system if you go full screen to keep the other monitor available with what it has on it.

beysus

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I can only help you for you first issue which is very easy to solve.

Go to the System Preferences -> Display -> Arrangement

When you're there you should see your two displays, one of them (in your case your Air) should contain the menu bar which you will simply drag onto the other monitor displayed. Done.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I can only help you for you first issue which is very easy to solve.

Go to the System Preferences -> Display -> Arrangement

When you're there you should see your two displays, one of them (in your case your Air) should contain the menu bar which you will simply drag onto the other monitor displayed. Done.

COOL..that worked...I didn't realize that white one was menu bar!!

beysus

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah haha I can understand that. That thing is tiny. I guess if I hadn't read the text above it I would have missed it too. But I'm glad I could help!

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Also, I noticed if I am on an application (i.e. Email or safari etc) and I take it to full screen, it moves what is on the 2nd monitor to blank. I have to keep it in NON frull screen. Is that normal? Or is there a setting where you tell the system if you go full screen to keep the other monitor available with what it has on it.

Nope, fullscreen always deactivates the other screen. On Mountain Lion you can use the second display as the fullscreen one, simply by dragging the window to the second display before making the app go full screen, but then it will black out the main display.

I hope apple addresses this in a future OS release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.