Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
bought a vinaphone sim card and it does not work either. :eek:

I bought ATT iPhone 5 from target today, apple told me to submitt a form to AT&T to unlock it. I did so, hope it will get unlocked soon... And you may try to negotiate with cricket for unlocking it

Last edited:

splendids

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I had the same problem with my iphone 5 from Cricket. It can recognize nano-sim card in China but is always searching. I talked to Cricket Store and Apple care. They told me because Cricket shares tower with Sprint, my Cricket iphone 5 is locked to Sprint tower when it is used out side US. I also talked to Sprint and they refused to unlock the iphone 5. Does any one have suggestions for unlocking the Cricket iphone 5 from Sprint tower?

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I had the same problem with my iphone 5 from Cricket. It can recognize nano-sim card in China but is always searching. I talked to Cricket Store and Apple care. They told me because Cricket shares tower with Sprint, my Cricket iphone 5 is locked to Sprint tower when it is used out side US. I also talked to Sprint and they refused to unlock the iphone 5. Does any one have suggestions for unlocking the Cricket iphone 5 from Sprint tower?

where did you first have your device activated? I meant did you use it on a Sprint network in the US? I am wondering if the problem could be resolved if the device was only connected to Cricket's own network, since they have their own network in a few cities. And in that case, the device doesn't know anything about Spring, and Sprint may not have the IMEI, so maybe you don't need to unlock it from Sprint...

splendids

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I activated it in TX. Cricket store told me the iphone 5s shipped by Cricket at that period might have the same problem.

where did you first have your device activated? I meant did you use it on a Sprint network in the US? I am wondering if the problem could be resolved if the device was only connected to Cricket's own network, since they have their own network in a few cities. And in that case, the device doesn't know anything about Spring, and Sprint may not have the IMEI, so maybe you don't need to unlock it from Sprint...

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London

Any news? I bought my phone and activated it in TN. I then flew to NYC and I guess it must have piggybanked a network there. Maybe that explains why it could be searching for the Sprint network?? :confused:

Peter8489

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I just got an iPhone 5 on Cricket. I activated the phone with a German t-mobile card. At first it had quite some trouble finding a network. But after a couple of hours it found the t-mobile network and it works without a problem. I didn't do anything special, I just put in the SIM card and went ahead with the registration/activation. That is all I did! Just let it search for a couple of hours and hopefully it will find the correct service!

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Any news? I bought my phone and activated it in TN. I then flew to NYC and I guess it must have piggybanked a network there. Maybe that explains why it could be searching for the Sprint network?? :confused:

Hi there, are you still reviewing messages here?

It seems that the problem has been solved... A guy find that the cell phone's PRL do search for other networks outside of the US, there are several tricks for helping doing that:

1. Turn off Cellular network and turn on GPS, get the location by the cellphone first, and then turn on cellular network; OR

2. Pop out the SIM, turn off the phone, pop in the SIM, turn on it.

Good Luck!

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
Hi there, are you still reviewing messages here?

It seems that the problem has been solved... A guy find that the cell phone's PRL do search for other networks outside of the US, there are several tricks for helping doing that:

1. Turn off Cellular network and turn on GPS, get the location by the cellphone first, and then turn on cellular network; OR

2. Pop out the SIM, turn off the phone, pop in the SIM, turn on it.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I have sold the phone (at a slight profit)...so no more hassle.

yoshix003

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Anyone find a solution with the SIM Locking internationally? Cause and effect and solution. All I know is this..

a) Must activate in U.S first.
b) when abroad must reset ITUNES
c) if sim card get switched it will lock phone (dunno why)
d) Minimal chance of re-unlocking after reseting phone through itunes some people have good luck some dont..

and lastly can we compile facts and how to's cause it is a pain in the ass to get a clear story.

So I propose people say where they are located what SIM they using and steps to eliminate all possible variables.

BMIND

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Cricket iphone internationally unlocked ?

Hi All,

After going thru the posts, I am bit confused. Please let me know if cricket iphone 5 will work on other GSM network internationally ?. I tried inserting GSM SIM card (International roaming) from other country while in US and iphone detected the SIM and still keeps searching. Please suggest if it will work internationally ....else it will become only a home WIFI device :(

Appreciate your help.

paul30

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Yes with no luck. In fact I don't have this option in my iPhone 5 Settings>general>network. I've been trying to change the network manually but it fails.

Not sure if this is a problem with just my iPhone or everyone elses.

Anyone else having problems where putting in a GSM SIM card results in continuously "Searching..." for the carrier in a Cricket iPhone 5?

i got a cricket iphone 5 in russsia no it shows searching, same problem! how to unlock it guys? I activated the phone in Russia

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Hi All,

After going thru the posts, I am bit confused. Please let me know if cricket iphone 5 will work on other GSM network internationally?

Cricket iPhones are LOCKED.

You'll have to contact Cricket to find out their unlock policy.

If you wanted an unlocked iPhone, you should have bought it directly from Apple.

Fenkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
posting in the thread

hello all, it is quite painful to hear that, because I purchase the phone at full unlocked cost here in Russia and currently cant activate it at my beeline nanosim. any advice on that? Phone is like new and I am really kinda like it... So I don't really want to just sell it... Will be better if it is possible to make it work.
I can add that it activates ONLY w/o any sim and it is stucked on searching as was mentioned before...
I was thinking about try to set it up with another sim, maybe I'll try that another week. Would really great to hear some response from peeps who managed to get it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.