Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
that's a weird gaze n' smirk

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 142

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
LOL. See the way Jobs is looking at Satjiv? Jobs canned him shortly after. Satjivs resume says left apple in 1997.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Love it, I loved that Amelio guy. I remember him announcing Steve Wozniak on stage at a macworld I believe, and he completely looked the opposite way when Steve was walking towards the stage, not know what way he was suppose to come from:p

AtariMac

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Southeastern, PA
I have a Quicktake 150 and a QuickTake 200. Both of which take lousy pictures, but at the time were amazing.

I often forget that most of you here joined the Apple world post Job's return. Heck I'm sure some of you were born post Job's return.

Apple was frankly more interesting when they were fighting for mere survival.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Amateur astrophotographers (people who take pictures of stars,) sometimes remove the iR filter from their new/fancy digital camera because it increases the sensitivity - and stars emit IR quite well, too. I've never tried it (my IR-filter-removed camera died last year,) but I would wager that a camera so-modified would take similar pictures.

Why would celebrities emit more IR...is it the makeup or a side-effect of drug use or Cristal? Is that why they say stars 'shine'? If I bought one of these lousy cameras and used it for my head shots, would I be more likely to be discovered?

Oh...you meant astral stars...sorry...nevermind.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow, yeah.

Although mine still works, and it has never done that. Maybe an early firmware version?

----------

If you look at "black" clothing under *VERY* bright light, it will often have a tint to it - blue and brown are the most common.

Likewise, they have tint in infrared. That tint is generally much greater than the visible-spectrum tint.

Early digital cameras generally did not have good IR filters. With no IR filter, you see into the infrared, so the IR tint shows up *WAY* more prominently than you would possibly see in real life. In real life, these probably had a very slight brown tint. The sensor doesn't quite know what to make of the extra (infrared) light coming in, so it overloads one or more of the subpixels. In this case, the blue and red ones - causing a purple tint.

Amateur astrophotographers (people who take pictures of stars,) sometimes remove the iR filter from their new/fancy digital camera because it increases the sensitivity - and stars emit IR quite well, too. I've never tried it (my IR-filter-removed camera died last year,) but I would wager that a camera so-modified would take similar pictures.

In an electronics lab when we used IR lights I recall we all just used our smartphone cameras to check if the IR lights were on or not... the IR LED showed up purple on my iPhone 3GS.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Joining Jobs' in the image above was Satjiv Chahil, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing at the time.

I can imagine that the meeting went something like this:

Chahil: "Hey Steve! Welcome back!"
Jobs: "And you are?"
Chahil: "Satjiv, President of Worldwide Marketing."
Jobs: "Can you think different?"
Chahil: "Think? Different? Why would I want to do that?"
Jobs: "You're fired, bozo."

Abacab

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
Purple rain

I like it and Prince was popular then.
Didn't Kodak collaborate on that one?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What about make the one man wearing purple and Steve wearing black. Somehow it doesn't look right.

Of course it doesn't look right. He removed all saturation, which isn't realistic, especially when the rest of the photo remains unchanged. It may have been an issue of the processing used by the camera at the time. It looks like the dark background threw off the exposure control, which can cause weird color shifts in the now over exposed subjects.

Natekhsirv

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
"..From September 1988 to February 1997, Mr. Chahil served in various capacities, including Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing and the Founding General Manager of the New Media, Internet and Entertainment division.."

Interesting Mr. Chahil who is seen with Jobs in that picture left Apple at the low point and missed out on all the upside and all the fun. Just an observation!!
So true, if he had remained, i would have got to see a fellow Punjabi Indian presenting iPhones and Macs at the Keynoites . How cool would be that !

In none of the Keynotes, hgave I ever seen a woman or a black or Indian guy presenting . The apple SVP s like most of their their products are all white, so unlike Google ! (Android head Sundar P . and many high ranking Google executives are from India )

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
From Tim Holmes' Flickr page:

Makes you wonder why Steve Jobs would kill off a digital camera that rendered black as a vivid shade of purple. ;)

With that logic, one might wonder why we research anything. As I recall, in 1996 the predominant cameras all used something called film.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Satjiv Chahil: Hi Steve, they call me the Global Marketing GURU :D

Steve: Oh yeah? how does it feel to meet the GOD of Marketing? :cool:

----------

I have a Quicktake 150 and a QuickTake 200. Both of which take lousy pictures, but at the time were amazing.

I often forget that most of you here joined the Apple world post Job's return. Heck I'm sure some of you were born post Job's return.

Apple was frankly more interesting when they were fighting for mere survival.

by "interesting" do you mean "borderline bankrupt"?:confused:

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I met Gil Amelio in Toronto when he was doing a tour for Apple dealers shortly before they bought NeXT. He was a bit of a bozo, he didn't know what he was really doing.
The good thing that came out of the luncheon though was his quote that I still use today: "Software is not like wine. It doesn't get better sitting on a shelf".

Wow tell us more bro...

That quote, albeit true, is pretty silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.