Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't disagree with you. I think it's not just one or the other. I think there are several reasons.

I don't necc agree with your last statement/dig on Samsung. All phones have issues. Some get more attention than others based on people's use cases. Samsung - for whatever reason - never went through an Antennagate for example. And I don't want to turn this into a debate about that. But my point is - no phone is perfect. No OS is perfect. Machines in general are not infallible.

Lol agreed.

derek916

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Maybe the next iPhone will let me wave at it to answer a call or something else that takes equally as long as pushing a button.

ALange

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
Poland
Well even Galaxy S4 is just an S3 redesign so--yawn even there--

ps.
Guys do you hear me?Because i write but i have no answers...
which maybe its just normal..or even boring you..
in this case i apologize.

read the sgs4 specs. there are dozens of improvements in hardware and software. cpu/sensors/s-type apps/camera/battery etc..

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
If apple puts a fingerprint scanner on their phone before a larger screen, they are now the dumbest hardware design team on the planet.

Apple4everr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2013
Samsung are following apples traits

S3 to S4 is the same except a 0.2 inch size difference, WOW!
has a a quad core processor, WOW!
Is more expensive then the last model, WOW!
So for those Droid fans who say samsung innovate crap, they don't.

----------

IGZO displays would be nice :)

Whats the diffrience?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Sigh

Fingerprint sensor is all well and good for security but honestly I couldn't be less interested.

For one thing, those fingerprint access deals usually NEVER work with corporate email systems and secondly of all what if you get a cut on your finger that lets you into your phone?

The your phone decides you're not you and won't let you in?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I agree that if Apple were to put a fingerprint sensor into the 5S, its primary purpose wouldn't be for locking the phone. In my mind, there's only one potential killer app for such a feature - to replace your wallet. Not just credit cards - the entire thing.

Besides credit cards, you could have insurance cards, driver's license, membership cards all available on your phone. You could even have a medical record kept on your phone. The fingerprint scanner would verify that you are the owner before allowing them to be used. There's almost nothing in the wallet (other than cash) that couldn't be put onto a phone.

They could use NFC, but if they weren't ready to do that yet, they could also use QR codes which seem to be more widely available than NFC from what I've seen. It's already being used with many apps - I've used it for boarding passes and Starbucks. It wouldn't take much to shift from QR codes to NFC if and when NFC becomes more popular.

Also, there is the potential for Apple to set up their own payment system to replace the big credit card companies - Visa/MC/AmEx. I could see this being the ultimate long game. After all, they have 500 million accounts being used, and all these payments to Apple cost them 3% in CC fees.

So, why not cut them out? Simply ask users to provide a bank account and routing numbers and voila, they can handle payments directly. To further incentivize users, they can provide a 3% iTunes rebate credit to users who do this. Voila - almost overnight, they become a major player in the payments game.

Last edited:

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
A source tells me the screen size is shrinking to 3.7" to accommodate the fingerprint sensor, and a larger home button. Citing Apple's desire to keep the phone comfortable in the hands of teens and small women.

. . . and yet teens and petite women are clamoring for the Galaxy S4 because of the big screen. . . :confused:

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Fingerprint sensor is all well and good for security but honestly I couldn't be less interested.

For one thing, those fingerprint access deals usually NEVER work with corporate email systems and secondly of all what if you get a cut on your finger that lets you into your phone?

The your phone decides you're not you and won't let you in?

If it works anything like my old laptop did, you were required to register 3 fingers, and could register all 10 if you wanted. So this problem would be eliminated.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Flashy Gimmicks? That's Samsung's territory. The only arguably gimmicky feature is Siri (and I personally love it for driving). As for screen size, it is completely based on opinion. If you feel the need to have a phone the size of your head, then go buy one!

Apple doesn't have anything to learn, you do.

Steve Jobs was great, but Ive and Co. will be just fine.

Siri is a total gimmick, its nice but hey its not a game changer they made it out to be. OK you have a phone made paper thin and I'll have a larger screen, and to be honest have you ever looked at one?? the S3 isn't that much bigger unless you have a very small head..

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
For me at least, I'm not really interested in smaller or thinner. Durability, for one, makes more sense than slimming down the product/making it even more ridiculously light. The obsession with thinness is like Samsung's obsession with larger screen sizes; at some point it really becomes a bit much.

And not to put words in your mouth but you inadvertently just pointed out why Apple isn't necessarily on top of their game. Same battery life..why not go for even better? It's actually slightly worse (which makes sense given the upgrade to LTE), and the technology is out there to become better.

I'm very interested to see what the overhaul to iOS looks like, as it has largely gotten pretty stale. If that comes with the iPhone 5S and it actually looks good, I'll redact my opinion that Apple might be slightly behind the curve. That and I'm very curious about the fingerprint sensor's real world usage (not judging anything yet) and if they can throw in a full HD display on the 5S. I'll be honest, I saw that HTC One and the display is noticeably better than the iPhone 5's. It's actually calibrated decently, too.

(As an aside on that full HD display, the bump from 720 to 1080 isn't as drastic as say, qHD to Retina. There are some things you can't go back to.)

I completely agree with you on the thinness argument. It's already plenty thin enough, I was merely pointing out that it was impressive that they improved every part of the the internals in the iPhone and kept the battery life the same while slimming the device down (albiet when it didn't need to be slimmed down any more).

I disagree that the battery life is any worse though (as an iPhone 5 owner myself). Also, I admit saying that Apple is on top of their game was a bit of jumping the gun. They're doing a good job, but they have been stale in the UI department for a long time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.