Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Dopeyman
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Dopeyman Send a message via MSN to Dopeyman
ML - Mavericks and BootCamp?

Not sure if it belongs here or in the windows section..... ???

Has anyone's BootCamp fail to load and/or work after installing and playing with Mavericks?

I installed Mavericks on an external drive to check it out... I only messed with the Maps and the tabs in Finder...

So then I go back to ML (main drive) and stay there....

Later on, my son wants to go into BC (he does his gaming there) it just froze at the white screen.. (Win7 Ult/64bit)

So I deleted the partition and started all over again... The partition got created and when it restarted to boot up from the Win7 dvd, it just stood there at the white screen (same as when I wanted to go into BC before I re-did the partition)....

The external with Mavericks isn't even connected...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2
ResPublica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeyman View Post

Has anyone's BootCamp fail to load and/or work after installing and playing with Mavericks?

I installed Mavericks on an external drive to check it out... I only messed with the Maps and the tabs in Finder...

Later on, my son wants to go into BC (he does his gaming there) it just froze at the white screen.. (Win7 Ult/64bit)

So I deleted the partition and started all over again... The partition got created and when it restarted to boot up from the Win7 dvd, it just stood there at the white screen (same as when I wanted to go into BC before I re-did the partition)....

try booting from the Win DVD by keep pressing Option after the boot sound (or C, for 'CD')
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Dopeyman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResPublica View Post
try booting from the Win DVD by keep pressing Option after the boot sound (or C, for 'CD')
I've tried those options: holding c and also selecting the DVD when I held option. Still stays frozen at the white screen.
Dopeyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:44 AM   #4
ResPublica
macrumors regular

Make sure you remove all possible connected hardware etc. Rerun the Boot Camp application. Try to boot the OS X Install DVD (to see if you can boot other DVD's). And if there's really no other way, you could try the rEFIt Boot Loader as an alternative for the Apple boot loader; http://refit.sourceforge.net
I've never had any negative experience with that program. Or better; http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ which is still being maintained.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
Maybe this can help you out?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeyman View Post

lcmazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
w0lf
macrumors 65816

Did not mess with my Windows install at all.
w0lf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:47 PM   #7
turbotoes
macrumors regular

I installed mavericks straight over my mountain lion install and it had no effect on my windows 8 boot camp partition at all. All is working fine.
turbotoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
I have just installed Mavericks on an external hard drive on my rMBP and Bootcamp is untouched, as well as ML. Everything working properly.
lcmazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Dopeyman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResPublica View Post
Make sure you remove all possible connected hardware etc. Rerun the Boot Camp application. Try to boot the OS X Install DVD (to see if you can boot other DVD's). And if there's really no other way, you could try the rEFIt Boot Loader as an alternative for the Apple boot loader; http://refit.sourceforge.net
I've never had any negative experience with that program. Or better; http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ which is still being maintained.
This worked....

As soon as I removed the usb connection of my hub, the win7 dvd started booting up from the white screen.....

Thanks for the tip!!

And also a big thanks as well to the others that posted suggestions!!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #10
1BadMac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoes View Post
I installed mavericks straight over my mountain lion install and it had no effect on my windows 8 boot camp partition at all. All is working fine.
Yep, same experience here. And the BootCamp partition / VM runs flawlessly in Fusion!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:37 AM   #11
sammy2066
macrumors 6502

The boot camp assistant can't seem to partition the SSD on my rMBP. It keeps giving me an unable to create partition error. Any thoughts?
sammy2066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

It seems that I have the same, installing 10.9 over 10.8 corrupted the Bootcamp partition/Windows 7 and the 10.6.8 partition. Trying to get 10.6.8 back with Time Machine. Windows isn't backed up...

I can't restart with the 10.6 partition, but can into Bootcamp, but then I only get a black screen asking for the Windows DVD. I can only perform a clean install which isn't my preference!

When restarting and holding ALT I do see (sometimes) 10.6.8, but I don't see Bootcamp. When selecting 10.6.8 I get a gray icon that it can't startup and it immediately startup 10.9.

In System preferences / Start-up disk I do see Bootcamp and 10.9 partitions, but not 10.6.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:28 AM   #13
BoRegardless
macrumors newbie

Clone Windows 1st, Install Mavericks 2nd

Winclone 4 will do for Windows partitions what Carbon Copy Cloner does for the Mac.

You need a clone backup anyway so do it first.

http://www.twocanoes.com
BoRegardless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:26 PM   #14
MacLadybug
macrumors 6502a

Worked fine for me...

I just installed Mavericks on my 2007 iMac that has a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7... I chose Macintosh HD for the install and it went perfectly. Mavericks installed perfectly and the Boot Camp partition was not disturbed at all. My "Dark Side" is running just as perfect as before.

The thought that I may never be forced to have to reinstall Windows again is thrilling.
MacLadybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)