Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
1. WHY there is no TRIM support for 3rd party SSDs?
2. WHY there is no fussion support in 2011 macs?

Yes, I know, you can change kext files and get both of them... but:
1. Every and each os update kills trim and who knows what it does to fussion drive
2. why to hack, it could be easily allowed by apple... but, apple wont do that? why? it greed? arent 2011 customers worth having fussion?

dont get it...

Last edited by a moderator:

useme2305

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
there is trim support for 3rd party SSDs...just get trim enabler. i'm not sure it's really necessary tho. most 3rd party controllers have fantastic garbage collection abilities with no need to trim.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
there is trim support for 3rd party SSDs...just get trim enabler. i'm not sure it's really necessary tho. most 3rd party controllers have fantastic garbage collection abilities with no need to trim.

trim enabler rewrites kext files... that is what I am writing about.. you have to mess up with system files...

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
kext schmext....if you want trim then enable it. it's fully revertible.

As I said, enebler rewrites system files... and after system update, you have to enable it again... this is little like windows world

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Internal garbage collection is getting better. If you read the TRIM enabler thread, you'll see that while some people got better performance after enabling, some saw no difference, and others actually got worse performance.

If you have a modern SSD you may actually be better off without TRIM.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Internal garbage collection is getting better. If you read the TRIM enabler thread, you'll see that while some people got better performance after enabling, some saw no difference, and others actually got worse performance.

If you have a modern SSD you may actually be better off without TRIM.

well, i have read all anandtech reviews, never seen any ssd which would work fine longterm without trim:(

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
well, i have read all anandtech reviews, never seen any ssd which would work fine longterm without trim:(

The few SSD articles I've seen on Anandtech involve a benchmark torture test on a drive at nearly full capacity. While it's possible some setups would use an SSD like that, it seems unlikely, as most people seem to use an SSD simply for speeding up boot and application launch times. Of course someone using an SSD as a Photoshop scratch disk would probably disagree with me.

OTOH, TRIM slowed down several drives that were used in much more typical operating circumstances (not with tons of rewrites on a full drive).

Don't get me wrong--I do actually agree with you. TRIM and FUSION should be available in OS X for third party drives, assuming they would work properly with such drives.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The few SSD articles I've seen on Anandtech involve a benchmark torture test on a drive at nearly full capacity. While it's possible some setups would use an SSD like that, it seems unlikely, as most people seem to use an SSD simply for speeding up boot and application launch times. Of course someone using an SSD as a Photoshop scratch disk would probably disagree with me.

OTOH, TRIM slowed down several drives that were used in much more typical operating circumstances (not with tons of rewrites on a full drive).

Don't get me wrong--I do actually agree with you. TRIM and FUSION should be available in OS X for third party drives, assuming they would work properly with such drives.

I do agree... it is not like I am bashing apple jsut to bash it.. nope, I like apple products (most of them) but sometimes, I simply can not agree with the politics... there is no reason not allowing existing users to fuse their drives... or tu sopport trim on 3rd party ssds... but they do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.