Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello. I just realized that I have to start looking at colleges... yay...

Anyway, I'm interested in computers, mainly hardware repair (because I don't know coding :eek:) and I have no idea where to look at. I figured this is a technology website so I should start with some opinions here. I've been doing a bunch of research on my own but I'm still not sure. I live in PA but am fine with moving. And price matters too! :)

So please give me your advice/opinions! I'm in my junior year of high school, so I have some time. My sister didn't start looking until her senior year and ended up at community college for a couple of years before moving to a 'real' one (not that community college isn't real, she loves it!)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hello. I just realized that I have to start looking at colleges... yay...

Anyway, I'm interested in computers, mainly hardware repair (because I don't know coding :eek:) and I have no idea where to look at. I figured this is a technology website so I should start with some opinions here. I've been doing a bunch of research on my own but I'm still not sure. I live in PA but am fine with moving. And price matters too! :)

So please give me your advice/opinions! I'm in my junior year of high school, so I have some time. My sister didn't start looking until her senior year and ended up at community college for a couple of years before moving to a 'real' one (not that community college isn't real, she loves it!)

Thanks everyone!

Might wanna cool it on the Smileys. But how are your grades? That will help gauge any place you'll be able to get into. SAT scores? Assuming your grades/SATs are decent, 3.85/2100, you're probably looking at some good State schools that specialize in your major. If price matters you're probably only looking instate anyways. I'd check out UPitt or Penn Sate. I went to GA Tech for my undergrad, and did Computer Engineering and Applied Math BS's, with a minor in Physics.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Are you interested in hardware beyond repair? Like designing?

If not, then it sounds like you are more interested in a vocational type program rather than a degree program. Those would be found at a community college.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So it sounds like you want to work at GeekSquad and I'm pretty sure the more education you have, the less qualified you are to work there....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.