Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think you need to look up the definition of hyperbole. The screen is not retina, but its perfectly usable.

I know, right? When does this constant hyperbole cross the line from being tiresome cute into lying? If people started misrepresenting products we would then lose faith in other people's opinions. Expressing one's opinion is one thing, but this constant exaggeration and hyperbole is tiresome and misleading.

It is always good advice to make up ones own mind and see the item for oneself. This whole mini screen thing will join the dustbin of history with the exploding iPad, the ear busting iPod, and the cancer causing iPhone. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Yeah I agree one needs to really see it to like it.

I've seen it in the store, but I've had this attitude this thing is too small and whatnot.

My dad wanted one, so I ordered on for him. Shipped to us yesterday and played with it for an hour or so. I liked it enough I'm selling my iPad 3 and replacing it with an iPad mini.

Converted! :)

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
My take is this works great for me right now. Next year they'll come out with a new version with a better screen. I recognize that when it happens, I'll either eBay or give away my "old" iPad Mini and replace it.

It's the way of technology. For the time being, I'm loving mine.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I've been playing with my wife's Mini for a few days now and it really is perfectly usable (I am an iPad 3 and iPhone 4/4S/5 user). Some of the "its non retina" brigade are being very over the top regarding the screen performance.

Yes text can be a little small, and pixelated but you can zoom or increase the font size which handles most issues (not all, as not all apps or sites provide that option). Pictures look great, it will make a great portable picture frame for my wife and the few games I've tried on it also played well.

I will happily continue to use my wife's device (in the evenings when she has it home) and when it goes retina I'll buy one for me too. I find the large iPad good for some things and the mini better for others. Indeed the mini, may, down the line lead me to not upgrading my iPhone anymore.

Could the device be better? Of course. It could have the 6X in it which could make the device a beast for gaming. I hope there is a reason beyond profit that it isn't in there but I understand if that was the reason. Apple is out to make money after all.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I was a true sceptic until today. My girlfriend wants an iPad Mini and I tried talking her out of it... but she still wanted to go see one... when I saw it - really wow.

Big surprise, looks awesome... screen is way better than expected :rolleyes:

I am in no way an Apple shill, I think most people on here are total nutjobs... but I can safely say the iPad Mini is worth buying (and quite cheap really)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I was a true sceptic until today. My girlfriend wants an iPad Mini and I tried talking her out of it... but she still wanted to go see one... when I saw it - really wow.

Big surprise, looks awesome... screen is way better than expected :rolleyes:

I am in no way an Apple shill, I think most people on here are total nutjobs... but I can safely say the iPad Mini is worth buying (and quite cheap really)

It is amazing how quickly lots of people are drawn to it so as at least to want to purchase one to try (even if some of them already own an iPad).

It took me all of 10 minutes at Best Buy to know it was coming home with me.
And after that in just one day, I knew I wasn't returning it.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I find the large iPad good for some things and the mini better for others.

This is a 'must' that some people have to realize! Most of the people expect to see iPad mini specialities on iPad 4 too and some of them expect iPad 4 specialities on iPad mini too. Hello?! if it would be like that, where would be the marketing strategy of Apple right now? :) On the other side people are now having more attention on their needs and what exactly they want or not.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
heh heh, but you want your mini cheap too.. didn't you? would you be willing to pay 400+ and 1lb+weight (instead of 0.68lb) for a mini? That is the state of the technology now..

I would have paid close the same price as a full size for a retina mini with a6x processor - weight I would be willing to accept reasonable increase.

The issue is cooling I think right now....they need faster processors to push the pixels and have less space to disperse heat.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I was not going to get the mini originally (still have my iPad 2 for home use and 3 for travel...my 1 went to my mom recently).

Perfect form factor for me at the gym while I'm doing cardio. I was really tired of squinting at my iPod Touch screen while on the bike and the mini really replaces the Touch well for me.

I loaded it up with movies and I'm good to go. The movies look great.

It's a keeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.