Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
We've just got the kids iPad minis. I have an iPad 2 and an iMac, my daughter also has an iPhone 4.

When I setup the iPhone 4 for her, I used my ITunes ID so all the apps I bought would work on her iPhone. Great.

But now on the iPad mini's I want to use the same iTunes ID so again they can use the apps I've bought. But with iMessage how will this work? Ideally I'd like the daughters iPhone 4 and iPad mini to work separate, sons ipad mini separate, and my iPad 2 separate. Is this possible so we can iMessage each other using just my iTunes ID so we can all share apps?

Cheers

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Use your apple ID for iTunes and the App Store on all devices in order to share your purchased music and apps. Create new apple ID's so each can use iMessage, FaceTime, mail, etc. independently and use those ID's when signing into the iCloud settings, iMessage and FaceTime.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Isn't the whole point to iMessage is that all devices are connected?

All devices are connected for the same user. But lots of families share one Apple ID for iTunes with separate ID's for their own devices.

I think the 'all devices' thing only makes sense when it's a single user using multiple devices. Even then it seems like it could be a bigger headache than it's worth. A buddy linked his iMessage from his phone to his iPad. His brother wrote him a text (which he logically assumed was private) ranting about his wife that his kid saw when playing with the iPad. Needless to say that was the end of connected devices for him.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
You can create a new iMessage email ID in the settings section of the messaging app. Assign that to each devices email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.