Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1
JoeyH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
15" vs 13" Retina MacBook Pro

I need a new computer for highschool next year. I can't decide between getting a 15" or 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I need advice on how the size would affect my needs from the computer.

Needs:
  • Light for carrying around all day everyday. (Favors 13" for being lighter)
  • Good enough graphics for moderate gaming. (Favors 15" for dedicated graphics)
  • Battery to last all day. (Favors both)

I also would like to know when the Retina MacBook Pro is expected to ship after WWDC. I was reading this on the main forum and I didn't understand whether it meant that they just wouldn't update the rMBP at WWDC or if it it just wouldn't ship the day of like it did last year.
JoeyH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
How about a MacBook Air if your going to be carrying it around school , is much lighter

Wow how times have change, a laptop for high school ? Not when I was growing up

Only computer I saw in high school was in the library
Che Castro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
RadDave
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How about a MacBook Air if your going to be carrying it around school , is much lighter

Wow how times have change, a laptop for high school ? Not when I was growing up

Only computer I saw in high school was in the library
Well, let's go back to the 1960s, typing class in HS for me, when the first hand held calculators appeared along w/ transistor radios -

Undergrad science classes at the U. of Michigan - carried a slide rule in a leather case attached to my belt - thought that was pretty cool then -

Bought our first computer in 1980, an Apple II+, a year before the first IBM PC was released running DOS 1.x -
RadDave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a
 
chrisrosemusic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Answered your own question there pal..

'Moderate gaming' never happening on a 13" I'm afraid, perhaps it will be better with Haswell but nothing on current hardware.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" April 2014 i5 1.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey iPad Air 32GB Space Grey Playstation 4
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5
tgi
macrumors 6502a
 
tgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
Answered your own question there pal..

'Moderate gaming' never happening on a 13" I'm afraid, perhaps it will be better with Haswell but nothing on current hardware.
I don't understand it when people shoot down the 13" rMBP saying you can't game on it. They either are delusional or just don't know. Everyone has a different interpretation of "gaming".

I've tested Starcraft 2, BioShock and COD on a 2012 MacBook Air with HD4000 graphics. All games were playable and good enough for me to enjoy. If you really care about having the best graphics or gaming experience, then get the 15" rMBP or no Mac at all.

To say you can't play games on a 13" is a joke.
tgi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
To say you can't play games on a 13" is a joke.

depends on an individuals definition of what is acceptable to play games.

in your definition old games and or low settings and **** framerates are clearly kosher.

the other guy apparently likes a bit fresher meat on his pizza.
__________________
nothing useful to say
utekineir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:25 AM   #7
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a
 
chrisrosemusic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
I don't understand it when people shoot down the 13" rMBP saying you can't game on it. They either are delusional or just don't know. Everyone has a different interpretation of "gaming".

I've tested Starcraft 2, BioShock and COD on a 2012 MacBook Air with HD4000 graphics. All games were playable and good enough for me to enjoy. If you really care about having the best graphics or gaming experience, then get the 15" rMBP or no Mac at all.

To say you can't play games on a 13" is a joke.
So games from 4 years ago play fine? You aren't a gamer then. Even Guild Wars 2 runs at 10-14fps on the lowest settings in built up areas, which to me makes it unplayable and unenjoyable.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" April 2014 i5 1.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey iPad Air 32GB Space Grey Playstation 4
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816
 
Santabean2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
You could buy a MBA and a gaming PC for the price of a 15" rMBP.
__________________
Cheers,
Santa
Santabean2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Rossatron
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: in a ziplock bag inside a car's trunk
15, definitely 15. the rmbp are light and thin, so the extra 2" aren't a noticeable added weight. if there was a 17" rmpb, i'd go for that.
__________________
Licensed Analyst, at your service.
cmd+backspace all the things!!!111
Rossatron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabean2000 View Post
You could buy a MBA and a gaming PC for the price of a 15" rMBP.
that's what i was thinking. if i was going to spend 2200 on computers (which i have to say for a high-school kid is ridiculous in my opinion but i'm sure you don't want to hear that) and i wanted to be able to "pwn noobs" then i would spend half on an air and then build myself a gaming PC.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:57 PM   #11
tipman2000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
you dont need retina. get the non-retina 15" and youll be good for at least 4 years. the retina is a waste of money until they get faster gpus and more software support. the benefits of the 13" are none. unless you hike for hours in a day, you will never miss the size of the 13". the 15" is superior in every aspect.

the only thing the 13" will do is make you wish you got the 15.

having the 13 is like the little brother who never grew up, and never reached full potential.

Its like having a new dodge challenger RT(15") vs having a civic Si(13"). yeah, maybe the Si is pretty cool, and it might be a little faster than a family van, but lets be honest, the challenger will win in any drag race hands down. The civic probably handles well, but it isn't the best handling car in the world, either. The civic is small and compact, but it simply doesn't have that beautiful V8 rumble that the challenger has.

The macbook pro 15 is among the best in the world. the 13 doesn't come near.
__________________
Macs: Late '08 MacBook Pro Alu/2.4 GHz/4GB DDR3/320GB 7200rpm Seagate/256MB 9600M GT/10.8.x
PowerMac G4 1.46GHz/1.5GB/320GB 7200rpm/128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/10.5.8
tipman2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:21 AM   #12
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipman2000 View Post
you dont need retina. get the non-retina 15" and youll be good for at least 4 years. the retina is a waste of money until they get faster gpus and more software support. the benefits of the 13" are none. unless you hike for hours in a day, you will never miss the size of the 13". the 15" is superior in every aspect.

the only thing the 13" will do is make you wish you got the 15.

having the 13 is like the little brother who never grew up, and never reached full potential.

Its like having a new dodge challenger RT(15") vs having a civic Si(13"). yeah, maybe the Si is pretty cool, and it might be a little faster than a family van, but lets be honest, the challenger will win in any drag race hands down. The civic probably handles well, but it isn't the best handling car in the world, either. The civic is small and compact, but it simply doesn't have that beautiful V8 rumble that the challenger has.

The macbook pro 15 is among the best in the world. the 13 doesn't come near.
Used to have a 15" silver MBP, moved to 13" MBP, now I'm not sure whether to get a new 13" or 15".

13" is definitely very good and usable, and smaller dimensions do help, but 15" felt a bit better in almost every way.

I find the 13" to be a good-enough screen for internet, tv-shows, notes, etc, but having 2 documents side-by-side isn't always possible and that could be a big PITA when doing more serious studying/research. Also, the dedicated graphics make the 15" feel a lot more like a "real" computer that can do anything, compared to still rather bland integrated stuff.

However, one can't deny the price difference between the two, which could be the deciding factor for many people, but it's not an issue when comparing 13 retina vs 15 regular.

I might just get a 15" if finances allow, because I'm moving abroad to study and will no longer have access to my iMac.

As for 13" retina, I personally don't see myself getting it, as it is essentially has the same drawbacks as the regular 13", just with a bit less weight and more pixels (but not more screen real-estate). It did look very nice though
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:24 AM   #13
skaertus
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXan View Post
As for 13" retina, I personally don't see myself getting it, as it is essentially has the same drawbacks as the regular 13", just with a bit less weight and more pixels (but not more screen real-estate). It did look very nice though
It does have more real screen estate. You may zoom out elements and they won't look pixelated. You may also use a resolution up to 1680x1050, which is much greater than 1280x800. And you may also use some tweaks to improve the resolution to 2560x1600, which should be awesome!
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:33 AM   #14
eXan
macrumors 601
 
eXan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
improve the resolution to 2560x1600, which should be awesome!...
... if you have a perfect eye-sight. I don't, unfortunately, so making things like text smaller won't do much good. I see your point though.

Besides, all these extra pixels have to be driven by a rather weak GPU.
__________________
My WoW videos
13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz | 8 GB | 256 GB | Intel Iris
eXan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:41 AM   #15
skaertus
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXan View Post
... if you have a perfect eye-sight. I don't, unfortunately, so making things like text smaller won't do much good. I see your point though.

Besides, all these extra pixels have to be driven by a rather weak GPU.
As for the GPU, I really can't say. I guess it should be just fine for general usage.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:46 AM   #16
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipman2000 View Post
you dont need retina. get the non-retina 15" and youll be good for at least 4 years. the retina is a waste of money until they get faster gpus and more software support. the benefits of the 13" are none. unless you hike for hours in a day, you will never miss the size of the 13". the 15" is superior in every aspect.

the only thing the 13" will do is make you wish you got the 15.

having the 13 is like the little brother who never grew up, and never reached full potential.

Its like having a new dodge challenger RT(15") vs having a civic Si(13"). yeah, maybe the Si is pretty cool, and it might be a little faster than a family van, but lets be honest, the challenger will win in any drag race hands down. The civic probably handles well, but it isn't the best handling car in the world, either. The civic is small and compact, but it simply doesn't have that beautiful V8 rumble that the challenger has.

The macbook pro 15 is among the best in the world. the 13 doesn't come near.
What a nonsense, the iPad mini outsells the iPad because everybody wants a smaller device and you suggest that a 13 inch MBP is rubbish compared to a 15 inch one......

It is just a question between size, weight and battery life on the one hand and having a discrete GPU and a 15 inch screen on the other hand. All other things are basically equal.
For me portability was the main driver behind my choice, so a bought the 13 inch (retina did not exist back in 2011).
__________________
iPhone 5s, 2008 iMac 20", 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:34 PM   #17
diegocomerci
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH View Post
I need a new computer for highschool next year. I can't decide between getting a 15" or 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I need advice on how the size would affect my needs from the computer.

Needs:
  • Light for carrying around all day everyday. (Favors 13" for being lighter)
  • Good enough graphics for moderate gaming. (Favors 15" for dedicated graphics)
  • Battery to last all day. (Favors both)

I also would like to know when the Retina MacBook Pro is expected to ship after WWDC. I was reading this on the main forum and I didn't understand whether it meant that they just wouldn't update the rMBP at WWDC or if it it just wouldn't ship the day of like it did last year.
Hi, I think if you are going to use it just for high school chores and gaming you should be fine with the 13 inch macbook pro with retina. Now depending on how hard you're going to push it i would suggest you get the 15 inch model because it is more robust memory and speed wise and you would have a great piece of machine that would remain updated for many years.

I wrote about it at http://www.squidoo.com/macbook-pro-r...onest-thoughts
diegocomerci is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lag with Applications folder (Dock) "view as list" in 15" Retina Macbook Pro Cardsnk MacBook Pro 2 Jun 11, 2014 11:52 PM
13" Retina Macbook Pro Late 2013 "restarting because of a problem" jarruemota MacBook Pro 4 Mar 5, 2014 10:18 PM
Resolved: 13" MacBook Pro Retina not display "switch user" after sleep mtbdudex MacBook Pro 1 Mar 1, 2014 01:46 PM
Macbook Pro Retina 13" + external monitor or 15" retina only JeroenDebruyne Buying Tips and Advice 7 Feb 15, 2014 07:55 PM
Please help me: About to Return 2013 Macbook pro 13" Retina for 2012 15" Retina phillyfan9090 MacBook Pro 22 Aug 21, 2013 09:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC