Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:20 PM   #26
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
Allow me to correct #1 to some extent.

In California, a "private person" can arrest someone if he or she saw a "public offense" being committed, or has reason to believe that a felony was committed. Edit: Theft is a public offense.

California Penal Code section 837 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...00&section=pen):
The specific section granting a merchant the authority to detain a person whom they have probable cause to believe has unlawfully taken merchandise is 490.5 (f)(1) PC.

Quote:
or has reason to believe that a felony was committed
A very important point here for a private person arrest acting on a felony is the added element of 'when in fact a felony has been committed.'

Last edited by Gutwrench; Mar 25, 2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Clarification of an earlier point
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:53 PM   #27
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
The specific section granting a merchant the authority to detain a person whom they have probable cause to believe has unlawfully taken merchandise is 490.5 (f)(1) PC.

A very important point here for a private person arrest acting on a felony is the added element of 'when in fact a felony has been committed.'
This also goes for misdemeanors. 836.5 I believe. Would have to look it up. But a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer. This is how most stores operate for the stealing of beer, cd's etc. Stuff that is under the dollar mark for a felony.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
This also goes for misdemeanors. 836.5 I believe. Would have to look it up. But a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of a peace officer. This is how most stores operate for the stealing of beer, cd's etc. Stuff that is under the dollar mark for a felony.
Generally speaking a misdemeanor must occur in the presence of a peace officer, but there are many exceptions. In the case of shoplifting the merchant or their agent will sign a CA (citizen arrest) and the police or deputy will then take custody of them (then likely releasing them on a citation). However if the shoplifting actually meets the elements of burglary or grand theft it is now a felony and no CA is necessary -- the officer can make the arrest based merely on the probable cause.

A shoplift suspect who violently resists a merchant (or agent) attempting to detain them can easily pass out of a misdemeanor petty theft and into robbery a felony.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:51 PM   #29
turtle777
macrumors 6502

Wow, I just noticed that this is a 4.5 year old thread. What the heck ?

-t
turtle777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:44 PM   #30
garya73
macrumors regular

Asset protection (formerly known as loss prevention) is an ugly business. Not something I would want to be involved in the least bit.
garya73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 07:20 PM   #31
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

There is a such thing as a "citizen's arrest" in which anyone can make an arrest. I've been asked for my receipt when leaving a store before, I provide it without harassing the employee who is just doing his/her job.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events