Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi,

I could use some help on this issue. I hope someone saw this before.
I have converted VHS to mpeg on my PC.

Then, converted these to .mov on my mac.

-Imported them easily in iMovie.
-Created a new project and a new event for around 15 clips.
- After playing around for a couple hours, no video is being played anymore, the viewer stays black and only sound is coming out.

When I want to start playing the video anywhere in the project, it starts back at the beginning showing the intro but when it gets to my .mov it stops and only play sound.

I have tried to reimported the videos in a new event and it doesn't seem to be working either.

Please help me :)

- Oh and after converting my 1 hours VHS to mpg, it's taking 21GB. We all know the quality of VHS... Any reason why it takes that much space and is it possible to compress it to a normal size without losing any quality? Could it be the problem also?

Last edited:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
WHy convert to PC and then Mac?. Why not straight to Mac.
Try getting your material into Quicktime file on Mac.
You dont say when importing to iMovie what setting you are using and those video play on timeline and what version of iMovie you are using?

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
WHy convert to PC and then Mac?. Why not straight to Mac.
Try getting your material into Quicktime file on Mac.
You dont say when importing to iMovie what setting you are using and those video play on timeline and what version of iMovie you are using?

I understand, I just switched to Apple. I have converted with Honestech VHS to DVD software, around 15 VHS. A lot of them are an hour but taking 20GB space each.

I took the mpg from the PC, copied them to OSX, right-clicked on them and used, keep same quality. Then simply dragging them to the new event in iMovie 11.

I could try to reconvert them to a lower quality format?
I hope not to lose that much quality on the VHS, since they are memories and we wish to keep it the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.