Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 21, 2015, 06:39 PM   #2176
bobreborn
macrumors member

Hey! I read the OP and some of the later pages but I'm not sure I understand all of this Web Driver vs Native OS X drivers, which OS's use which, and which cards this matters with. ALthough it does sound much more convenient than when I looked into this years ago and you HAD to flash your card.

Anyway I've got an ATI HD 2600 in my Mac Pro 3,1 Octo. I want to mess around with some video editing for a music video; I think I can get by with Lightroom but some programs want OpenCL. I'm just curious what the cheapest OpenCL nVidia card I could grab on eBay would be and what I would have to do to install it correctly (not having to mess with molex power connectors would be nice too).

Thanks!
bobreborn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015, 04:28 AM   #2177
MrAverigeUser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
Yes, please message us from our website for sales type stuff.

The reason we concentrated on the other MSI GTX760 is that it has Dual MDP.

So, it can run 2 @ Apple LED MDP displays, and now it can run 5K Dell at full res 60Hz. No other GTX7xx or even Kepler version of Titan or Titan Black can do that, makes it very unique. I actually have one of the cards you asked about here, haven't bothered writing an EFI for it but shouldn't be an issue.

Twin Frozr Gaming Series with 2GB. Looks like they may have planned a 4GB version as half RAM chips aren't on the board.
I will trust you :-)

Q: If the GTX 760 card you have already is good/the best for my purpose which is: Doing in future more intense semiPro photo/Videostuff using in future times shurely 2 high-resolution screens and perhaps using the MacPro for Music-NAS - this would be perfect!

Again: i am NOT a gamer, I think that will never interest me at all.
BUT if the performance of my MacPro will be better for photo/video stuff, I shurly will love it.

The card is not too loud? I love (nearly) silent computers...
Q: will the GTX 760 be much louder than my old GT120?

in slot 2, there is the Sonnet Tempo boosting with Samsung SSD on it (nice thing :-) )
Q: Will the GTX 760 nevertheless fit in slot 1 without problems for the eSATA card in slot 2 (enough space)?

If "YES" for all answers: Please reserve this card for me.
will then buy it on your website.

Thanks for your answers

Last edited by MrAverigeUser; May 22, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
MrAverigeUser is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015, 02:57 PM   #2178
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Please contact us through our website, this isn't an appropriate place for sales talk.

On the subject of new Nvidia drivers, has anyone else used them with 5K? I'm getting horrible crashes at boot if connected but if I connect after boot I have full 5K and the massive list of resolution choices is back.

Anyone else?
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015, 03:42 PM   #2179
romanboy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
Please contact us through our website, this isn't an appropriate place for sales talk.

On the subject of new Nvidia drivers, has anyone else used them with 5K? I'm getting horrible crashes at boot if connected but if I connect after boot I have full 5K and the massive list of resolution choices is back.

Anyone else?
What monitor are you using? The Dell one?
Also, have you tried running it on a gtx 970?
romanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015, 09:24 PM   #2180
bobreborn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobreborn View Post
Hey! I read the OP and some of the later pages but I'm not sure I understand all of this Web Driver vs Native OS X drivers, which OS's use which, and which cards this matters with. ALthough it does sound much more convenient than when I looked into this years ago and you HAD to flash your card.

Anyway I've got an ATI HD 2600 in my Mac Pro 3,1 Octo. I want to mess around with some video editing for a music video; I think I can get by with Lightroom but some programs want OpenCL. I'm just curious what the cheapest OpenCL nVidia card I could grab on eBay would be and what I would have to do to install it correctly (not having to mess with molex power connectors would be nice too).

Thanks!
nothin?
bobreborn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #2181
Asgorath
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobreborn View Post
nothin?
The OP has some good information for you:

Quote:
6) What GPU should I buy?

This is a great question, and depends on your budget and what you'll be using the card for.
  • If you care more about gaming and have an unlimited budget, get a GTX 780 Ti.
  • If you care more about compute (CUDA/OpenCL) and have an unlimited budget, get a GTX TITAN Black or a GTX 570.
  • If you can only afford a mid-rage card, get a GTX 760.
  • If can only afford a low-end card, get a GTX 650.
In general, if you are buying a card now, I would recommend getting a Kepler card and using Mountain Lion. If you really care more about OpenCL or CUDA performance, then the GTX 570 or TITAN Black is probably the best choice. Brand of card does not matter, though I personally stick with EVGA in general.

If you are stuck with a MacPro1,1 or MacPro2,1 then your options are slightly different, since the Kepler cards don't work in Lion.
  • If you have an unlimited budget, get a GTX 570.
  • Otherwise, get a GTX 560 or GTX 560 Ti.
I think it's unlikely that the Kepler cards will ever be supported on Lion, which does limit the options for older Mac Pro systems.
This pre-dates the release of the Maxwell generation of cards, but the basic advice is sound. That is, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, buy a cheap NVIDIA card like a GT 640 or GTX 650.
Asgorath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro