Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:10 AM   #26
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
All this 'its illegal' stuff is moot. Nobody is going to get arrested over it so why should anybody care?
Its very probable that no one will be arrested over SLA violations, but MacRumors wants to been seen, as best as possible, as a business with sound ethics. We don't want to become a place where we're seen as one of the dark Internet sites where illegal and unethical things transpire.

Would you like it if someone, or many thousands of people took your literary work, plagiarized it and sold it for a profit for themselves? The chances of someone getting arrested for that are also slim.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:31 AM   #27
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Would you like it if someone, or many thousands of people took your literary work, plagiarized it and sold it for a profit for themselves? The chances of someone getting arrested for that are also slim.
Well if someone did that I (and my publishers) could sue them. So could Apple if somebody was foolish enough to attempt to sell Hackintoshes. I doubt anybody is selling Hackintoshes and if they are, they deserve to get into trouble. Most people who make a Hackintosh are doing it for themselves. For personal use.

If somebody was to buy the Kindle version of my book, decided to print it out and put their own cover and name on it for their own bookshelf, then that is their prerogative. Hell, I couldn't care less if people buy copies of my book just to burn. A sale is a sale and it is their right to do what they wish with their book after they've bought it. As long as they don't go plagiarising or making money on my work.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:41 AM   #28
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Well if someone did that I (and my publishers) could sue them. So could Apple if somebody was foolish enough to attempt to sell Hackintoshes. I doubt anybody is selling Hackintoshes and if they are, they deserve to get into trouble. Most people who make a Hackintosh are doing it for themselves. For personal use.

If somebody was to buy the Kindle version of my book, decided to print it out and put their own cover and name on it for their own bookshelf, then that is their prerogative. Hell, I couldn't care less if people buy copies of my book just to burn. A sale is a sale and it is their right to do what they wish with their book after they've bought it. As long as they don't go plagiarising or making money on my work.
Perhaps, as you say, you don't care how people use your book for personal use, but Apple cares, and cares enough that they put it into an SLA. The staff at MacRumors is going to do our best to honor that SLA and remove posts and threads that seem to violate it.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:19 AM   #29
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Perhaps, as you say, you don't care how people use your book for personal use, but Apple cares, and cares enough that they put it into an SLA. The staff at MacRumors is going to do our best to honor that SLA and remove posts and threads that seem to violate it.
Its a reasonable reason but a shame none the less. At least there are other forums out there.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:31 AM   #30
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Its a reasonable reason but a shame none the less. At least there are other forums out there.
The other forums are better for hackintoshing, especially when it comes to getting tips and support. Hackintoshes are more enthusiast based, there's a degree of competence required and patience - and fun!

MR isn't about building community and sharing ideas to the largest benefit. This place is more about being politically correct. For example, legally, the Apple SLA has nothing to do with discussing topics on a forum but MR seems to think that discussing the topic is the same thing as building, buying, and selling an Apple product that violates the SLA. The only way this would be a conflict is if Apple and MR are associated in any way.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself if it's worth putting up a fight with that mentality. I know the view here is incorrect regarding the interpretation of the SLA but I don't think having a hackintosh section on MR would be better than the ones on the other sites so I've never seen a reason to press the issue over here
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 PM   #31
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
...For example, legally, the Apple SLA has nothing to do with discussing topics on a forum but MR seems to think that discussing the topic is the same thing as building, buying, and selling an Apple product that violates the SLA. The only way this would be a conflict is if Apple and MR are associated in any way.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself if it's worth putting up a fight with that mentality...
I don't think it has to do with being politically correct, staying on Apple's good side or anything like that. This is a privately-owned site, and as such the policies in place are the policies the owner and his team choose, for their own reasons.

No one is saying that discussion of Hackintosh-related issues is the same as "building, buying, and selling an Apple product that violates the SLA", and in fact maflynn has already pointed out that there are Hackintosh threads, just not enough sustained interest for an entire subforum. We recognize that there are other forums out there especially well-suited for that.

But I agree the in the end, each member needs to decide for himself if the rules on this particular forum are something he finds acceptable. We hope members enjoy themselves, stay, and contribute, but we understand that there are lots of other forums to choose from.
annk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback