Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
So I'm in the market for a new tablet that will be mainly used to read books and magazines. Currently considering the iPad Mini but I'm not 100% sure if its gonna be too small for magazines. I know for books I can always increase the font size but you really can't do that for magazines.
I initially didn't want to go with a full size iPad as it gets too heavy after a while but now I'm not sure if I should just get the fill size anyway.
If only Apple could make a lighter iPad this would be an easy choice.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I went to check out the new offerings from Samsung.
I specifically looked at the Galaxy Tab 3 - 8.
I was comparing the screen with the iPad mini and here are my initial thoughts.

I like the 4x3 screen format of the mini but the screen resolution is better on Galaxy Tab. I prefer the Android OS over iOS. I guess I'm use to my Note II now.

If the retina mini was available, I think I would buy it but it's not so I'm really torn.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
+1 to nook hd+. 256 ppi 9 inch screen with google playstore now available at 150 dollars, what more cn u expect

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aside from Apple's store, all tablets have a good selection of magazines, but its worth checking that the ones you like are available.

That being said, only you can decide if the Mini is too small and if tyhe screen is ok. The iPad 5 is rumored to be a lot lighter, and the Mini 2 is rumored to have Retina although that rumor is a little less certain.

The only full sized ipad I had was the iPad 2. I would usually read with it either on my lap when in a chair, or resting on my chest when in bed and I never noticed the weight. I would also hold it in one hand using the smart cover as a grip and it did not fatigue me in the least, so I would say that if the iPad 5 is lighter than the 2, the weight is a non issue.

Now if you will only use it as a reader then go with a cheaper tablet like the Nook, but if you think that you will use it for more things, and that really is the most likely thing to happen, there is a lot of truth to the iPad having significantly more tablet formatted apps which look better than scaled up Android phone apps.

In the end I suggest you try out each of the tablets you are considering and buy the one you are happiest with.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
For magazines, I think a 9 - 10 inch device is going to offer a better experience. With the smaller ones, you'll find yourself zooming and using a reading mode which just distracts from the content IMO.

Also, the brand doesn't seem too important as I'd suggest getting something that can run Zinio. You get better prices and multi-platform support.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
+1 to nook hd+. 256 ppi 9 inch screen with google playstore now available at 150 dollars, what more cn u expect
I concur with this suggestion. If reading magazines will be the primary purpose, then the nook hd+ can't be beat for the price. High quality hardware.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I went to check out the new offerings from Samsung.
I specifically looked at the Galaxy Tab 3 - 8.
I was comparing the screen with the iPad mini and here are my initial thoughts.

I like the 4x3 screen format of the mini but the screen resolution is better on Galaxy Tab. I prefer the Android OS over iOS. I guess I'm use to my Note II now.

If the retina mini was available, I think I would buy it but it's not so I'm really torn.

Have you considered the Nexus 7, or the next gen that will be announced next week? The current model can be found brand new for as low as $140 now. Almost the same form factor as the Mini but packs a higher resolution.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Have you considered the Nexus 7, or the next gen that will be announced next week? The current model can be found brand new for as low as $140 now. Almost the same form factor as the Mini but packs a higher resolution.

I have but I couldn't wait for the next version. Thanks

Well guys, I did something that I didn't think I would do.
After all the suggestions on here regarding the Nook HD+, I had to take a look at it and to my surprise, the Nook is pretty impressive. The screen is perfect for magazine reading, especially in Landscape mode. In Landscape mode, you can read both sides at once without really Zooming in.
So I bought it on a whim and will be spending tonight and tomorrow setting it up. I went for the 32GB version for $179 which is great.

I'll report back here after I have some time with it.

Thanks for the Nook suggestions people!

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
UPDATE:

So I've spent a day setting up and getting use to the Nook Plus.
There are pros and cons to this tablet and I really have to think about whether it is a good compromise for me.

So far here are some initial Pros and Cons as I see it.

Pros: Screen, Price, Good for eBooks and Mags.

Cons:
Web browsing (fonts are too small on viewing pages and can't really be adjusted bigger)
Lag and the User Interface. I did load Nova Launcher which helps.

I may be use to my Note II smoothness and so this is a bad comparison for me. Not sure how much better the current iPad or Mini would be to this.

I have 14 days to return if I am not satisfied so I will continue to use it and decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.