Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Cameras

Anyone know why there is a massive difference between the frond and real cames of the Galaxy S4 ?

13MB on the back, and only 2 at the front…..

thats a pretty big difference.... compared to the iphone 4s.

I just would have expected more on the front too at the very least.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Anyone know why there is a massive difference between the frond and real cames of the Galaxy S4 ?

13MB on the back, and only 2 at the front…..

thats a pretty big difference.... compared to the iphone 4s.

I just would have expected more on the front too at the very least.

The front camera is really only for face shots. I don't think there's much point in putting a high megapixel camera there.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Have you got a link to where it says the plastic used is the cheapest available please? Also a link to the reference of half working apps please?

Nah. He's just a fanboy to the fullest. That "plastic" is also nice because it doesn't scratch like the back of the iPhone.

ayedgaf

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Again the real question for people is:

Why bother with S4? Or any Galaxy S series to be honest?

Wait a few months and there will be the new Note?

It's priced the same

It's bigger! You want a phablet? Might as well go for the biggest screen available

It's badder! Stronger CPU, GPU always go for the Note

Better digitizer. It's a Note with the S Pen and it's more accurate.

So really, I still don't understand why bother with S something?

Why bother buying an iPhone 5, wait a few months there will be a 5s why bother buying a 5s, wait a few months there will be a 6

its prices the same

Its faster, 2 new useless features!

10% stronger CPU

10% stronger GPU

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Why bother buying an iPhone 5, wait a few months there will be a 5s why bother buying a 5s, wait a few months there will be a 6

its prices the same

Its faster, 2 new useless features!

10% stronger CPU

10% stronger GPU

iPhone 5s would still be another iPhone.

Galaxy Note is not just another Galaxy S.. It has always been their true flagship phone. Now S4 has 5" display, their existence is getting more and more like unneccesary testbed for Note III

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Samsung well and truly taking over Apple.

This is my next phone for sure.

Time to up your game Apple.

Now this is just hyperbole. Yes Samsung put out a good phone - but they did not do anything new other than assemble components to meet a spec war. The software - the stuff that makes it useful - is all from Google. Without that it is a glorified phone. Now I am not saying it is not good, but - there are strategic business model problems with Samsung. It has to play nice with Google - which - as seen with Touch Wiz and the rumblings with Tizen it does not like to do. Also Google is going to move closer to controlling more of the hardware design and manufacture so as not to cede too much power to Samsung. Motorola - once they reorganization is through and they are plugged into Google - will be playing a more prominent role in the development of the Nexus products which we will start seeing getting first crack at the newest Google releases months before they will be in the wild for the Samsungs of the world.

Apple still has a computer/desktop/laptop market which can anchor all of their mobile products. And yes - as of now OS X is by and far the best desktop/laptop environment out there. That is an advantage in being able to provide stem to stern user experience covering all computer needs.

Now Apple does need to address some issues - but that will always be the case in a competitive market. But it is not hardware - it is software.

They need to update their iOS to offer some new features - but I would argue more integration with iCloud. I would also say enhancements to photo and video software and multi-tasking improvements. Not wholesale earth shaking improvements - but things that are quite doable. In fact - Apple can make things more competitive for themselves by opening up their APIs to allow approved third party software makers to integrate their offerings more closely with iOS. Apple can still maintain high quality standards and review of these items and companies to give more flexibility and choice without the uncontrolled chaos that gives google the openess it has but at the cost of some crappy apps and dodgy malware.

Samsung in the end offers only the hardware built on commodity specs made by other people save for the screens. It has yet to demonstrate that it can provide and manage both hardware and software offerings. Apple makes the software, designs the hardware, the chips, and invests in R&D as well. That is a huge job.

Again - don't get me wrong - I am not discounting Samsung - they are showing some chops - but they are not as dominant as some will say. If there is a schism between Google and them - they will bear the worst of it as Google has more options.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Subu

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2013
lol, android fragmentation..

On the unrelated note, I think we'd have to give Samsung due: its revived phablet market (sunk by likes of Dell Streak), its differentiated from Apple by its 5 inch screens (contrast and color issues aside); its differentiated itself from the rest of Android pack by offering various S services.

What should be reaction of Apple? My take is that nothing special is needed. iPhone never was intended to be a peak of hardware technology, so being behind Samsung in some aspects and being behind LC and Sony in some other aspects is inevitable - such is crazy speed of Android market; you'll never be on top for long anyway and even now S4 lacks some hardware features of HTC One and Z; its a total hardware and software package, which matters and newer iOS7 plus iPhone5/6 would be sufficient answers for now.

For now.

The next key questions will be if there gonna be Apple phablet?
How different will be iPhone 6? (assumed that 5S is only a small iteration from iP5);
Bring on iWatch!
Bring on AppleTV 55 inch;
Bring on AppleTV small version with apps and games;
Bring on newer MacPros;
Bring on xMac,
Bring on Apple Car systems;
Bring on Apple Home automation;
Bring on Apple Streaming iTunes,
Bring on Apple retina MBA,
bring on Apple ...

Good post

I enjoyed it

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
So AT&T will be offering tha S4 16GB model for $250 on contract here in the US. Interesting.
Will it give the public the perception that it is a superior product to the iPhone 5, which starts at $200 on contract?
Will the next iPhone also start at $250 on AT&T? Is AT&T trying to reduce subsidies?

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Sexy, amazing phone. Better design than the galaxy s3, but lose its halo
while compared to the htc one. Curious about what news features will iPhone 5s bring to us. And then I Will choose one between them.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Sometime in the past few years, while I wasn't noticing, this change has occurred. When talking about something you don't like, it's 'crap', or when something ever so slightly bad happens, it's 'epic fail'. It's just so humorous.

In my childhood, I remember when we were arguing the merits of Commodore 64 vs. Atari 400/800 (similar to this Android/iOS war) we wouldn't just call the other crap, but explain why ours was better.

Commodore 64 owner: We have 64 colors! You only have 4!
Atari owner: 4 per SCAN LINE. We can have all 256 colors on screen at once! Can you?
Commodore 64 owner: This here picture looks better on our screen
Atari other: This here picture looks better on OUR screen
Commodore 64 owner: You're right. You're good at some things, horrible at others
Atari owner: I agree. You're good at some things, horrible at others.
Commodore 64: M.U.L.E. is so much better on your system
Atari owner: I know, but Lode Runner is so much better on your system.

why can't we talk like this anymore, because we're on an anonymous internet?

Sorry for the late reply, but IMO the Internet is making people more honest.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Sorry for the late reply, but IMO the Internet is making people more honest.

I disagree, most of the crap people spurt online they would never say face to face.
This doesn't mean they are more honest online, just anonymity gives them free range to trash talk.

vtpmt81

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
The front camera is really only for face shots. I don't think there's much point in putting a high megapixel camera there.

Exactly. Also you don't want to do a video chat on LTE with a 5mp camera since that would consume data at an alarming rate.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I disagree, most of the crap people spurt online they would never say face to face.
This doesn't mean they are more honest online, just anonymity gives them free range to trash talk.

Agreed.

----------

Exactly. Also you don't want to do a video chat on LTE with a 5mp camera since that would consume data at an alarming rate.

Unless you have unlimited data ;)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this.

Lode Runner was better on the Atari.

You're right. I was trying to think of a game better on the Commodore 64. I thought, Miner 2049er - no better on Atari. I forget which ones were better on Commodore.

Renzatic

Suspended
You're right. I was trying to think of a game better on the Commodore 64. I thought, Miner 2049er - no better on Atari. I forget which ones were better on Commodore.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one:

Forbidden Forest.

I'm sure there were plenty more, cuz the Commodore64 is a much more fondly remembered machine than the good ole 800XL these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.