Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
My guess is that Tim Cook is in China to help finalize the deal for the iPhone 5S and 5C (the rumored lower-cost model) to officially support the TD-SCDMA digital cellular network, which China Mobile uses. As such, expect the new iPhone models to be available for China Mobile users, officially available at both the Apple Store in China and authorized China Mobile retailers.

hallex

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2013
Jiangsu,China
There are too many people in this forum do not understand Chinese.

Tim Cook is smart, today in the commercial, marketing and interests determine the survival of a company, Apple is no exception. So, he repeatedly came to China. Remember, he had come to seek a solution to the problem rather than to attend the prom.

From IOS BETA 4 adding customary for the Chinese people to use IME can be seen that Apple is indeed more respectful of the Chinese market and consumers.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
why not offer the iphone 5s? apple is really focused on china right now.

Because China's strategic interests would hardly be advanced by Qualcomm having a de facto monopoly over LTE baseband chipsets. I believe China views Qualcomm as suspiciously as many in the US view Huawei given its corporate history. Look it up.

China has spent years leveraging compatibility with TD-SCDMA to get everyone to open research labs in China employing hundreds if not thousands of Chinese engineers, one of the best orchestrated examples of technology transfer in human history.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
Because China's strategic interests would hardly be advanced by Qualcomm having a de facto monopoly over LTE baseband chipsets. I believe China views Qualcomm as suspiciously as many in the US view Huawei given its corporate history. Look it up.

China has spent years leveraging compatibility with TD-SCDMA to get everyone to open research labs in China employing hundreds if not thousands of Chinese engineers, one of the best orchestrated examples of technology transfer in human history.

thanks for telling:)

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Good job on noticing the nuance...

AscendP6-HandsOn-05-580-100.JPG

The Chinese are trying to explain exactly what they want in clear language:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-07/03/content_16716093.htm

"With the rapid development of mobile data services and the increasing scarcity of radio spectrum resources, TDD technology is destined to become the development trend of mobile communication. However, compared to LTE FDD, the TD-LTE at current stage lags far behind in terms of both commercial development and global influence."

They want TD-LTE to become an equal competitor to FDD-LTE so that their companies such as Huawei can go forth and do business in emerging markets as the world transitions to LTE and then LTE Advanced over the next few decades. It appears to me the Chinese copied the US tactic of having a major telecom, China Mobile for them, Verizon for the US, use a standard almost no one else does, and then leverage backwards compatibility with that standard, TD-SCDMA for China Mobile and CDMA for Verizon, to promote local companies, Huawei and others for China, Qualcomm for the US.

In theory the Qualcomm baseband chipsets iPhones have have support for TD-SCDMA and TD-LTE. But I doubt the Chinese would wish to have a de facto Qualcomm monopoly occur for LTE baseband chips.

I assert Apple won't be allowed officially on China Mobile until they put a Chinese LTE baseband chipset into a version of the iPhone. Thus the deadlock.

There is one more card for China to play. They are apparently experimenting with relaxing currency controls on certain foreign companies:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100556006

Observe which foreign companies are on the list so far: "They are Shell, Samsung, Intel Inc, Alcatel-Lucent , Schneider Electric and Caterpillar Inc ."

Observe that Apple is not on the list. Until China says otherwise, the money Apple makes in China stays in China.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Don't know why this dialog came to me from the pic:

Tim: "Hey gurl!"

Man on left: "Gurl, you looking fierce!"

Tim: "I know, right?? Tom hooked me up, won't be out till Gucci's Fall line."

Man on left: "Werq! Is that suede?"

Tim: "It's a suede Alpaca blend. Ah-mazing!"

Man on left: "You ready to talk biz-nass? Got some fierce eats and drinks that'll knock your Paul Smith shoes off."

Haha - spits mountain dew all over laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.