Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I need to find out how much I have paid in mortgage payments over the last three years (amongst other things).

I've downloaded three years of banks statements and compiled them into one spreadsheet.

Is it possible to search/only show the cells that are my mortgage payments rather than going through manually and finding all 36 transactions?

Thanks

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
figure out what your mortgage payment is listed as, then command + f and type it in the box.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
figure out what your mortgage payment is listed as, then command + f and type it in the box.

I figured out this much, but doing this means clicking through 36 entries and writing down the amounts.

Ideally I want Excel to find all 36 entries, display only these entries to then allow me to SUM the 36 amounts in order to give me the total.

ryguy619

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Use a SUMIF statement

If the description of the mortgage payment is the same, or even if the first few letters are the same, you can do the following:
1) in a new column, use the LEFT function to extract out the first few letters of the description
2) then use the SUMIF function to add up any values in the column with your mortgage payments. make sure to use the help guide to see exactly how to use the SUMIF. it's pretty straightforward.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
If the description of the mortgage payment is the same, or even if the first few letters are the same, you can do the following:
1) in a new column, use the LEFT function to extract out the first few letters of the description
2) then use the SUMIF function to add up any values in the column with your mortgage payments. make sure to use the help guide to see exactly how to use the SUMIF. it's pretty straightforward.

Thanks for this but I think it's way above my Excel abilities. Typing "=LEFT(HFX HOME)" just gives the result "NAME?"

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
What does the data in your spreadsheet look like?

Column A - Date
B - Description
C - Money in
D - Money Out
E - Balance

In column B my mortgage payments all start "HFX Home" and a number follows it (the number is different each time).

There are 1,816 transactions in total, so it's tricky finding these 36.

The amount paid also changes slightly each time.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Newer Excel 2010+ (I think) can do smart sorting, so import the entire document into Excel (assuming it is a text file). Then sort Column B and select the "HFX Home" entries from Column E. There's probably a macro to be written there...

On that note: if you have access to MATLAB or know your way around C++/Java, you could write a simple string parser that just stores values that match the Description column. Then transfer those values to excel.

If that is too much, then just spend 5 minutes to copy-past old school and get it done.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Here is one way:

Attachments

• Excel Example.jpg
    Excel Example.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 79

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Excel - alternatives

Hi

A couple more alternatives.

1. Filter on Column B - a funnel will appear in the Header B. Click the funnel and de select all. Select HFX Home and just this data will appear. either highlight and then copy & paste to a new sheet for a permanent record, or just highlight the HFX figures and the total will appear the grey footer!

Screenshot below (top left):

2. Other way and this is what Excel is good for - is Pivot Table.

Highlight all 1800 lines of data and go to Data - Pivot Table in the menu.

It will show you what data you have chosen at the top and select option to open the Pivot Table on a new worksheet. (top Right)

in the box that appears place the description in the row box - by dragging the top descriptor. Then Money Out descriptor into the values field and a table appears as per my photo. If the descriptor in A3 says Count of or Summary of, right click on A3 and select Field settings in the menu and choose Sum. (Bottom Left)

Every descriptor will be grouped and its total shown.....great for analysing the whole 1800 lines of your statement. Find all sorts of trends.

Again a coup[le of screen shots attached. You can see that the Pivot table has grouped everything nicely...

Pivot Table is how I do this.....

Excel help will be good if you get stuck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.56.50.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.56.50.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.36.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.36.44.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.55.57.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 19.55.57.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.