Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
One thing I want to say is that when I fire up the new 27, i noticed a significantly crispier and rich spund compared to my previous late 2009 27 inches

This is immediately noticable even I am not an audio enthusiastic

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You know that and your still looking? Why? My new 21.5, after setting the equalizer, sounds pretty good. Bass is not like a sub but I'm listening to some Method Man and the bass vibrates my desk. Good enough for me. I knew what was included, and what was not, BEFORE I purchased. Maybe you should wait to see one in the store.
Would you mind sharing your settings please? :p

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've actually found the speakers in the 2012 27" iMac sound better to me than my 2011 27" iMac.

aure28

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I've actually found the speakers in the 2012 27" iMac sound better to me than my 2011 27" iMac.

Agree. I did some comparaison with my new 27" late 2012 and my old 27" late 2009. The new iMac sounds way better, more a clear, less "metallic" sound (bass sounds the same).

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Do people actually just use the internal speakers lol ??

I would think the 27 would be slightly better but only due to the larger enclosure..

but regardless I would be looking at some external speakers.

Have you ever thought about the fact that many people buy an iMac to be rid of all the wires and cables on their desks? Well I'm such a person and I would never again consider to use external speakers, at least not wired ones. I'll rather get a nice pair of wireless headphones.

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Have you ever thought about the fact that many people buy an iMac to be rid of all the wires and cables on their desks? Well I'm such a person and I would never again consider to use external speakers, at least not wired ones. I'll rather get a nice pair of wireless headphones.

There are the ones who do not like wires, other who prefer better quality sound. If you search around and find a good quality wireless phones, for the same price you get a way better quality wired ones.

I am sure same happens with the speakers. You always get better sound quality for the price you pay for the wireless system.
At least for me the sound quality is more important than having one extra USB wire.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Is there any known difference in the sound system between the 21" and the 27", or ... what's the deal?

Yes the two speaker systems are completely different. You can see this by comparing the teardown pictures between the 21.5 and 27 inch models.

So far I haven't heard any complaints about the 27 inch model. In general the consensus seems to be it sounds better than the previous year model. The only complaints I've read have been aimed solely at the 21.5 inch model.

G2244

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I finally got my 27" set up last night. And...this morning I ordered some external speakers. The built in ones are probably great for VOIP calls, etc. but seemed pretty bad to me for music. I am not that picky about the sound but they really were not good in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.