Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:18 AM   #26
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.
No, but it might make a thing French (Spanish, Italian, Romanian, et al.).
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:37 AM   #27
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.
Except that it does. Language is not static, and if the common usage of the word changes, it changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use language, there simply is the way it is used and how it has evolved.

(I work with linguists on a daily basis... believe me, I have heard this lecture far too often...)
Lord Hamsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:50 AM   #28
Ingot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
My biggest fear was that the ID sensor would not work with full enclosure cases. Glad to see it is possible.

I wish I worked in a field where I didn't need to protect my electronics from being banded up and covered in all kinds of body secretions and excretions. I learned the lesson the hard way- the smell of vomit can never be fully removed from an iPhone
What the hell were you doing???

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
not really...where's armor series?
Agreed. Want to be able to watch Orange is the new black in the shower.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
Except that it does. Language is not static, and if the common usage of the word changes, it changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use language, there simply is the way it is used and how it has evolved.

(I work with linguists on a daily basis... believe me, I have heard this lecture far too often...)
Thank you! I too deal with this on a regular basis. To me as long as I can understand the language and communicate, then it is all good. Of course this is dependant on the context of the communication.
Ingot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #29
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

What I fail to understand is if the competition can make a waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, drop proof phone, why can't Apple?
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:46 PM   #30
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i would literally rather walk around with a broken back than to put my slim iPhone in such an ugly "box"
You're not going to be able to walk at all with a broken back.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #31
spillproof
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingot View Post
What the hell were you doing???
I work weekends as an EMT in the club and party district of town. Sometimes the patients resent you, so they purposely aim at you. You never get use to the smell.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:27 PM   #32
zachlegomaniac
macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'd LOVE to have a naked iPhone, but try working in wetland remediation with one for a day. Sandy and wet muddy hands. Crossing rivers in waders. Running across sites to talk to excavator operators. I destroyed two iPhones before deciding you could NOT do my job and own and iPhone without a really great case.

ZLM

Last edited by zachlegomaniac; Sep 12, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
zachlegomaniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:19 PM   #33
Ingot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
I work weekends as an EMT in the club and party district of town. Sometimes the patients resent you, so they purposely aim at you. You never get use to the smell.
You sir are a good man. I must say the smell of vomit is not one that I would recognize coming from a phone.
Ingot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:25 PM   #34
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
I wonder how Lifeproof will handle making the finterprint scanner work while remaining waterproof.
you wont you will have to stick to a pin or they might be able to put a thing over it
glsillygili is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:28 PM   #35
xArtx
macrumors 6502a

I am one of this guys where the phone goes in rough environments,
and think they're great, but I think a total waterproof one is the only reason I'd want another one.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:47 AM   #36
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
I wonder how Lifeproof will handle making the finterprint scanner work while remaining waterproof.
it's the same company now...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:25 AM   #37
Tsuius
macrumors member

Not otter box but Apple

Not otter box but Apple should be getting credit for ensuring that the touch ID sensor works with screen protectors. I'm sure Apple had done a ton of innovation here to ensure that ALL screen protectors work (including otter box).
Tsuius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #38
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

Quote:
Wish I could upvote this multiple times...

Quote:
What I fail to understand is if the competition can make a waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof, drop proof phone, why can't Apple?
If Apple had to stand behind these claims, the line at the Apple stores would wrap half way around the city. Pretty sure even if they did release an "effectively ______proof" phone they wouldn't market it as such... as it is the iPhone 5C looks pretty darn durable.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:27 PM   #39
hitman0341
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
I saw that in the news section of the search results, when I was looking to see if life proof had announced anything about the 5S.
damn i created an account just to talk about this very subject. Well nice meeting you guys. i hope to get tons of new info from this site.
hitman0341 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:23 PM   #40
pMad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
no shiat sherlock

----------

"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".
Next you are going to tell me that "You should of called" and "each one grabbed their pencil" are "officially changed"

Stupidity is not a change.
pMad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion