Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
can anyone please do me a favor?

my new fiancè and i are trying to make 'save the date' magnets, and we have a picture we would like to use on it, but just want the focus on us and the background blurred.

if you can help me, please PM me, would rather not put the picture up there.

thanks for any help!

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Assuming you have Photoshop, select the portion of the photo you DON'T want blurred, then copy and paste into a new layer. (If you're not up to speed with Photoshop selection tools, here's a good tutorial: 8 Ways to Get the Selection You Want in Photoshop/ .)

Now that the image of you and your fiancè is safe on a new layer, select the original layer and apply a Gaussian blur (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur...).

That's it!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
There's a fancy way to grade the blur with a depth mask but I forget how to do it :( (I saw the trick on Digital Tutors, not sure if anyone else knows it).

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Photoshop is a large graphic design software program created by the Adobe company. It enables a novice photographer to touch up recent photos, and experienced graphic design professionals to create advertisements, logos and marketing pieces. Through a vast collection of filters, tools and palettes, Photoshop offers benefits to users of all skill levels.

Thanks for that insight. Although its actually an image editing suite and once you have edited your images you take them else where to use them. If you create a logo, advertisement or marketing piece solely in Photoshop, you should be shot.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
Thanks for that insight. Although its actually an image editing suite and once you have edited your images you take them else where to use them. If you create a logo, advertisement or marketing piece solely in Photoshop, you should be shot.

I understand the sentiment, and I can't tell you the number of times I've seen layouts for brochures etc. built in Photoshop. I'm not a fan of that either, but apparently not everyone knows or cares about the old school methods of keeping vector as vector and raster as raster. IMO, that is the best way to do it, though raster effects in InDesign and Illustrator are very convenient and I have and will continue to use them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.