Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
does it is really?
I like iphone, and we all know that iphone price is much higher than other brand phones, if that news is correct, iphone will be more popular in hands.

Not sure about now, but when the GS3 came out it had a good $250 on the iPhone. The iPhone is up there, but it’s certainly not the most expensive smartphone.

mjahrami

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Bahrain
Not a good Idea

I don't think that Apple will be releasing an cheaper iPhone.. This is not their strategy. Apple will always have brand and premium products.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
It's happened three times already. Once for the Retina, again for the iPad, then again for the iPhone 5.

I think devs will adapt.

Besides, the market trend on the other end of the spectrum is to have a bevy of resolutions. Apple still only has 4.

Don't be so sure about the developers. I am one, and I know what problems this transition created, each time. Of course things are nowhere near as bad as with the fragmentation of Android, but believe me, some problems were there. And increasing the size twice, or increasing the height is fairly easy for a developer to predict. Increasing arbitrarily each side is going to be a lot harder for developers to adapt.

Of course, Apple has been preparing for things like these in their APIs, but we just have to wait and see future apple devices to discover how easy it will for devs from now on.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
They can make the phone 16 sizes if they want but reality is if they don't do something with iOS they are going to loose even more users. I love the iPhone hardware but already getting bored with iOS. If someone ask if I wanted to trade for the HTC Droid DNA I probably would.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Not sure about now, but when the GS3 came out it had a good $250 on the iPhone. The iPhone is up there, but it’s certainly not the most expensive smartphone.

Only on T mobile was the galaxy S III more expensive than the iphone.
It came out at 330 minus a 50 MIR.

It was 200 on every carrier, same as the iphone.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I doubt a 5 inch phone will be cheaper. This is apple we are talking about.

They need to focus on the design of their ios instead of the exterior.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland

Subsidized a 16gb iphone was as expensive as a 16gb GS3, but full contract the 16gb GS3 was $550 and the 16gb iphone was $650. You wanna 64gb? I believe that was $400 sub, $850 unsub. Apple is always more expensive.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Subsidized a 16gb iphone was as expensive as a 16gb GS3, but full contract the 16gb GS3 was $550 and the 16gb iphone was $650. You wanna 64gb? I believe that was $400 sub, $850 unsub. Apple is always more expensive.

Yeah, but I'm sure we live in different countries - The prices vary quite a bit in different markets.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
They can make the phone 16 sizes if they want but reality is if they don't do something with iOS they are going to loose even more users. I love the iPhone hardware but already getting bored with iOS. If someone ask if I wanted to trade for the HTC Droid DNA I probably would.

You mean the DNA that has inferior battery life (ANroid fanboys' words), only comes in 16GB of storage and possesses "world-renowned" HTC's "build quality" (ref HTC One X's wifi/GPS/ Bluetooth/ screen flex/ hardcore screen flickering/ overheating issues, and 8X's body discolouration)?
And dont forget laggy sense.

:rolleyes:

----------

Srsly where do you think Apple gets the money for walk-in customer service from? Buy from Samsung please and if something is wrong I'd like to see how long it's gonna take them to fix your stuff.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Let's see, just this december HTC released the Butterfly, a 5 inch monster. Sony just announced the 5 inch Xperia Z with a 1080p display at CES 2013...

So yes, it seems the 5 and over inch smartphone segment is more than just Samsung's playground. Now will phablets grow beyond a niche ? Remains to be seen. But don't think it's limited to Samsung.

And exactly how many 5 inch phones has HTC been selling in the US? Or let's just look at how many note2 have been sold compared to sub 5inch phones or even iphone5?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Not true.

I saw the GS3 when it first came out and it was 650as well.

Plus it's 625 now, I sell them like crack at my job.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Srsly where do you think Apple gets the money for walk-in customer service from? Buy from Samsung please and if something is wrong I'd like to see how long it's gonna take them to fix your stuff.

Well that's where apple makes it's money in the hardware. I'm not bashing Apple just stating a fact.

----------

Not true.

I saw the GS3 when it first came out and it was 650as well.

Plus it's 625 now, I sell them like crack at my job.

You probably work at Best Buy or a third party retailer cause at AT&T I can get one for $550. Unless your talking about a 32gb model.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You mean the DNA that has inferior battery life (ANroid fanboys' words), only comes in 16GB of storage and possesses "world-renowned" HTC's "build quality" (ref HTC One X's wifi/GPS/ Bluetooth/ screen flex/ hardcore screen flickering/ overheating issues, and 8X's body discolouration)?
And dont forget laggy sense.

:rolleyes:

----------

Yes thats the one. As a retired HTC Rezound ROM developer I'm SURE I could make that phone hummm. I like the quad core cpu, NFC, wireless charging, and HTC camera and software is far superior to iOS. With its dedicated image processor its got to be great. I love Sense and have never really had issues with is being laggy. Usually all it takes is some PNG optimization and BAM fast as hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.