Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lubo

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Unluckiest man alive with an dented iPad? Guess you didn't hear about hurricane sandy huh?

Oh, Is that the small wind storm everyone was going crazy about over in the US? ever hear about the Storms they get over in indonesia and the likes? which are 10x worse?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
A chip that big must have been visible straight out of the box.

Am surprised you took all the wrapping off the pad, obviously you were going to return it.

Bigrichuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
A chip that big must have been visible straight out of the box.

Am surprised you took all the wrapping off the pad, obviously you were going to return it.

Yeah saw it as soon as I picked it up took all the wrapping off though as had to have a little play ;)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Iam sorry to hear that you a chip on your new iPad mini mine came saturday morning with a carrier but i didn't order with apple i ordered with john lewis because if i did then i could get a 2 years warranty for free so i thought i take the two years warranty for free.I hope that you get it sorted out and soon and get start getting the use out of your iPad mini i love mine always using it to read the forums just waiting on the Otterbox case now then i can take it out and about with me.

Bigrichuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Well would just like to say apple customer service is first class took the mini in guy looked at it walked out with a replacement 10 mins later (had to wait for the guy out back lol) they do know how to do customer service must admit :D

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
My experience with scratches and AppleCare

The wifi antenna on my pristine $660 black iPad mini quit working in less than 2 months. AppleCare replaced it by mail with a refurbished unit having light leak. AppleCare replaced that one by mail with a non-refurbished unit with a 3 inch scratch in the back. They then had me send it back and the service center returned it stating there was no problem. I called my reprentative back (a senior manager) and he offered (without me asking) to replace it with a brand new shrink wrapped unit with a new warranty as I had obviously lost confidence in the Apple Service department. After 2 weeks of waiting and not getting calls returned I called back and spoke to another senior manager who told me the case manager's request had been denied and I was stuck with the unit I was given. She is going to supposedly force through a replacement (likely another refurb) but kept reminding me that this is ONLY a cosmetic defect after all. So here I wait once again as a box is being mailed to me to return this unit to the service center. It has been a month and a half since my iPad broke and my case has still not resolved. I have completely lost confidence in Apple warranty after being a customer since 1985 as well as an Apple repair technician in the late 80's.

I am starting to rethink my experience with Apple: Mac 512K fly back transformer died just out of warranty requiring a several hundred dollar repair, PowerMac 7100 & 8100 OK, dead $350 print heads on Color Imagewriter Printer, iBook (dual USB) hinge wire shorting just out of warranty then battery dying months after the $350 repair, iMac came with a stripped case screw and was replaced with a refurb with a stuck red pixel, AirPort Extreme and AppleTV OK so far, iPod Touch home button quit working and warranty replacement has a crooked home button, perfect iPad 4 but now this situation with the mini.

Update 3/22/13
My final replacement iPad mini had obviously been dropped on its corner and dented (not quite as bad as the OP but through the black). After that they finally broke down and did a complete replacement which i just received today exactly two months after my original broke. While we were at it I had them switch it to a white model. This one is a thing of beauty like my original and exactly what I expect from an Apple product right out of the box.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.