Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 1, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
zooby
macrumors 6502

Will the iPhone 5S most likely have different displays?

With rumors of the iPhone 5S having IGZO displays, does this mean an increase in screen quality - meaning less problems with yellow tinted screens? As much as I love retina displays, it seems like every time I get a new iPhone I end up with a yellow screen (and no, it isn't meant to be that way as my wife's phone always has a cooler display).
zooby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Cooler screens doesn't necessarily mean better. You may prefer cooler, but that doesn't make it right.

And as soon as the 5S hits the streets you will see a ton of threads about displays being different shades of blue and yellow. It's inevitable. Some people like cooler, and some warmer. What would be nice would be a way to calibrate the display yourself. This way everyone would be happy.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
cynics
macrumors 603

Iirc sharp said at CES it would be "quite sometime" before the US market would see IGZO on a mobile device.

Now that was in January and as fast as technology progresses "quite sometime" may mean less the a year. I'm doubtful though.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Iirc sharp said at CES it would be "quite sometime" before the US market would see IGZO on a mobile device.

Now that was in January and as fast as technology progresses "quite sometime" may mean less the a year. I'm doubtful though.
Agreed, I don't think we'll see an IGZO device until next year's iPhone.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Cooler screens doesn't necessarily mean better. You may prefer cooler, but that doesn't make it right.

And as soon as the 5S hits the streets you will see a ton of threads about displays being different shades of blue and yellow. It's inevitable. Some people like cooler, and some warmer. What would be nice would be a way to calibrate the display yourself. This way everyone would be happy.
Maybe so, but when I compare my warmer retina display to my wife's, my friend's, and all of the ones at the store, it's clear that it isn't how the display should be. There just shouldn't be two separate tones to retina displays.
zooby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
richardbb85
macrumors 6502a

and how are we supposed to know the answer
richardbb85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I know it's wishful thinking that wont happen, but deep down I am hoping this is true.

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I know it's wishful thinking that wont happen, but deep down I am hoping this is true.

both those phones look way too blurry compared to my 4S lol
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
and how are we supposed to know the answer
Based on the rumors reported on this website? I am not asking for a confirmation but what people think...

Nice pic... I wish haha.
zooby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:14 PM   #10
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Quote:

Hopefully 6 will have this
radiologyman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Motherload0211
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiologyman View Post
Hopefully 6 will have this
Agree. I like it.....However, anyone want to bet there will be many complaints/rants about it not being wider/bigger still and starting the "Apple is failing" comments again ?
Motherload0211 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:00 AM   #12
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
both those phones look way too blurry compared to my 4S lol
You do know they're not actual photos right?

5s will have the same display as the 5. Maybe Apple will tweak the colour profile to give it a bit more 'pop'
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:06 AM   #13
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherload0211 View Post
Agree. I like it.....However, anyone want to bet there will be many complaints/rants about it not being wider/bigger still and starting the "Apple is failing" comments again ?
The next iphone could be 6" and the same people will complain. I remember all the ones complaining about the 5 being too small and saying they were leaving Apple for Samsung. Yet they bought the iPhone 5 and continue posting here. Every year is the same story regardless of what Apple does. Android forums are not much different (TouchWiz sucks, HTC One does not have SD card, etc.). people always complain instead of enjoying their chosen phone.
charlesdayton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
You do know they're not actual photos right?

5s will have the same display as the 5. Maybe Apple will tweak the colour profile to give it a bit more 'pop'
Yes, I know they are renders. My point stands that the pic doesn't really show a proper comparison to see how much better a new screen would be in reality. And yes, I'm expecting the 5S to have the same screen as 5.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone