Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:51 AM   #126
robanga
macrumors 68000

The right leaning news site not withstanding, Fox has a pretty good analysis of the exit polls, better than the other ones i have seen:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...-poll-summary/

It give you a category by category summary and does show a shift to the left. For instance the auto bailout: That was a big positive factor for the President in Ohio.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #127
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

america is not moving to the left.
not moving to what in most country would be extra-parliamentary right does not equate to a shift to the left.

in fact, all those who wanted a moderate centrist/conservative as the president, should be thrilled.
they have him, his name is barack obama.
Don't panic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #128
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Yes, I agree. Yesterday was a victory for progressives. If you want to keep the victory going, blathering about things you don't apparently understand, and refuse to desire to learn, won't help.

Good lord. Take a deep breath. Walk around a bit.
OK. The election was close. Hope you feel better, big man.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:32 PM   #129
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
I remember when GWB was re-elected. I was incredibly disappointed that people were unable to see the damage being done, but I do recall how those on the right didn't gloat about their win. They didn't take the opportunity to rub it in, and were quick to point out how much they wanted to work with democrats after the election.
To the Republicans of 2001, "bipartisanship" meant exactly the same thing as daddy-Bush's "New World Order":
Just do like we say and nobody gets hurt.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:33 PM   #130
Evoken
macrumors 6502a

Is America moving to the left? Can't say for sure but the United States seems to be.

United States America
Evoken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:57 PM   #131
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Is America moving to the left? Can't say for sure but the United States seems to be.

United States America
Technically, it is fair to refer to the US as "America". Brazil, for instance, is not in "America" it is in "South America". Similarly, Mexico is in "North America" and Nicaragua is in "Central America". The region from Ellesmere Island to Tierra del Fuego is not commonly called "America" but "The Americas".

It is indeed a bit arrogant of the people of the US to call their country "America" as though it were the only one that mattered in the Western Hemisphere, but it is still not really wrong.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:58 PM   #132
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
United States America
Not as you knew it. Too bad about that.

But perhaps it might finally start living up to it's promise.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:05 PM   #133
leenak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Technically, it is fair to refer to the US as "America". Brazil, for instance, is not in "America" it is in "South America". Similarly, Mexico is in "North America" and Nicaragua is in "Central America". The region from Ellesmere Island to Tierra del Fuego is not commonly called "America" but "The Americas".

It is indeed a bit arrogant of the people of the US to call their country "America" as though it were the only one that mattered in the Western Hemisphere, but it is still not really wrong.
The US is part of the Americas but I don't think it is arrogant to call the US 'America', it is just a short name for United States of America. Just like people say States as well for a short name.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:26 PM   #134
cwosigns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Another trend one can gather from this new twitter facebook pop-culture atheist homosexual welfare entitlement voting generation, is the decline of America as a whole on the world stage. It is only as this new group of selfish me-me-me voters is getting involved in politics, that we now have to ask the question "Is America really the greatest country on earth still?". Coincidence? I think not.
I'm an atheist. I'm gay. And I'm an American. I voted my conscience because I believe that the anti-women, anti-education, anti-science, anti-arithmetic tea partyers that have overrun the Republican Party, if left unchecked, would lead to the ultimate demise of what USED to be the greatest country on earth. Republicans say they're all for states' rights and personal freedom. That's ********. When it comes to TRUE personal freedom (the right to marry whom I choose, the right of a woman to make her own personal health decisions), republicans don't support personal freedom. They want federal laws that force Americans to adhere to their religion.

And the republican solution to fixing the economy has been thoroughly debunked. Republicans want a smaller government for the same reason thieves want fewer cops; so they can pick the pockets of the lower and middle classes without getting busted.

It turns out America is smarter than FOX News thought and made the better choice for the country.

Last edited by annk; Nov 12, 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Changed "tea baggers" to "tea partyers"
cwosigns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:23 PM   #135
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
I believe that the anti-women, anti-education, anti-science, anti-arithmetic tea partyers that have overrun the Republican Party, if left unchecked, would lead to the ultimate demise of what USED to be the greatest country on earth. Republicans say they're all for states' rights and personal freedom. That's ********.
Damn straight. And while they fashion themselves the authority on what's truly American, IMO they're the most un-American of all. The US has progress written all over it. It was founded by people who wanted to start anew and brought about a revolution to liberate themselves and sever the ties to the past. Hugging a 2000 year old book and a 225 year old piece of paper and doing your damnedest to preserve everything and everyone frozen in time is an insult to the spirit of the whole project. Something is awry when those of us who live in the so-called Old World can look across the pond and think "Wow, those guys are so last century".

Last edited by annk; Nov 12, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Clean-up in quoted post
Anuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 PM   #136
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
america is not moving to the left.
not moving to what in most country would be extra-parliamentary right does not equate to a shift to the left.

in fact, all those who wanted a moderate centrist/conservative as the president, should be thrilled.
they have him, his name is barack obama.
As a moderate myself, President Obama is a bit too far to the right for me, but, it is nothing I can't handle.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues