Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
This isn't a complaint really ( though I do think the Ipad 3 screen feels a lot more sturdy). I am just curious to why it feels so much different.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
You mean physically? It's much thinner glass floating on a proportionally larger air cushion compared to bigger iPads and it's held in place differently due to the iPhone 5-style construction and narrow bezel. It will sound different tapping on it and respond a little differently to pressure.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Apple gave you a very thin mini but also a very thin screen glass. Mine sounded cheap and hollow. I could actually see the screen bend/distort when tapping on it. Guess I have been using iPads too long but my mini felt cheap in comparison and I returned it.

I am willing to sacrifice the thinness and smaller size for the use of a full size iPad. This is a choice everyone must make. It is great we have this choice.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It actually feels hollow to me. Tapping on it has an audible and tactile emptiness to it which is probably due to thinner materials and it does feel very different from an iPad 2/3/4.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Went to a store today and held mini in my hand for first time.

For reading a book (I played w font sizes) its so much better (for me).
The way it feels due to size and weight is killer.
You can hold it and u r not stressing your muscles unlike w a v1 v2 and the new old.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
This is one of the first things I noticed when I first got mine. The glass feels ,ore like plastic and made a slightly different noise than the larger retina version. Doesn't affect performance at all however. Still a great little device.

MrDoug

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho..
I bought the Mini on Nov 2. took it home and felt it was too small.. I had it only one day and returned it.. what a mistake.. I bought another today and LOVE it.. I didn't give it enough time on first buy.. I have the iPad4 as well but as of right this minute... I like the Mini better.. just something about the light weight etc.. so thinking about taking the iPad 4 and keeping the Mini.. what shall I do? LOL..
Doug

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Cause it's cheap.

No it's a different form factor really, bit like a giant iPod touch, so the look and feel is different... If only the screen was sharper... *sigh*

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Because.... its.... smaller.... ?

Thinner ..... bezel .... ?

Serious thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.